The Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee on July 22, 2018 officially launched its Olympic mascots Miraitowa and Someity at a ceremony attended by Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike and Committee’s President Yoshiro Mori.
What do the names ‘Miraitowa’ and ‘Someity’ mean?
The name of the blue-checked Olympic mascot ‘Miraitowa’ is derived from a combination of the Japanese words for future and eternity and seeks to "promote a future full of eternal hope in the hearts of people all over the world".
The pink-checked Paralympic mascot Someity owes its name to a type of cherry tree blossom and exhibits enormous mental and physical strength.
Mascot Selection Process
• The three final designs were chosen from among 2,042 entries submitted from all over Japan.
• The winning mascots beat the other two competing pairs by a huge margin, getting 53 percent of the votes.
• The mascots were designed by Japanese illustrator Ryo Taniguchi, who designs characters for language teaching books and companies
• Almost 17000 primary schools in Japan, around 70 percent of all such schools in the country, took part in the voting, along with some Japanese schools abroad.
About 2020 Summer Olympics
• The 2020 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXXII Olympiad, is a major international multi-sport event.
• The games are planned to be held from 24 July 2020 to 9 August 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.
• Tokyo was announced as the host city at the 125th IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on 7 September 2013.
• Tokyo previously hosted the 1964 Summer Olympic Games, and in 2020 will become the fifth city to host the Summer Olympic Games more than once.
• The city will also be hosting the 2020 Summer Paralympics.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports