14 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like 2017 Sahitya Akademi Award, Maha Shivaratri and World Radio Day among others.
1. What was the theme of the 2018 World Radio Day?
a) Radio and Sports
b) Radio and News
c) Radio: To the World
d) Radio is You
2. Which of the following 2017 Sahitya Akademi awardees donated his prize money to mother of Junaid Khan, who was killed in a train in June 2017?
a) Shiv Mehta
b) K P Ramanunni
c) Afsar Ahmed
d) Jayanta Madhab Bora
3. Who was conferred with the 2017 Sahitya Akademi Award for Hindi literature?
a) Afsar Ahmed
b) Jayant Madhab Bora
c) Ramesh Kuntal Megh
d) Vyakaranna Baso Varsh
4. India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual was released by which Union Minister in New Delhi?
5. Which country’s President won a second five-year term recently?
6. Which bank recently issued revised guidelines for expeditious resolution of bad loans?
a) State Bank of India
b) Reserve Bank of India
c) Central Bank of India
d) Union Bank of India
7. Who was honoured with the 2018 Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership?
a) Marcel Desailly
b) George Weah
c) Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
d) Ruud Gullit
8. Which country announced to recruit women as investigators for the first time?
9. Noted sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik created how many sand Shiva Lingas on February 13, 2018 on the occasion of 'Maha Shivaratri'?
10. Which country will host 8th edition of Theatre Olympics from February 17, 2018?
11. Which city airport was shut down after the officials discovered the World War Two bomb in its premises?
b) New York
d) Mexico City
12. Who was appointed as India's new Ambassador to Brazil?
a) Ashok Das
b) Rajiv Singh
c) Sudarshan Kumar
d) Rahul Bhatia
1. (a) Radio and Sports
The World Radio Day is observed every year on February 13 to remember the unique power of radio which touches lives and brings people together from every corner of the globe. It is the day when the United Nations Radio was established in 1946. The 2018 theme ‘Radio and Sports’ will promote the inseparable relationship between sports and gender.
2. (b) K P Ramanunni
K P Ramanunni from Kerala was conferred with the 2017 Sahitya Akademi Award for Malayalam literature for his novel “Daivathinte Pusthakam”, which deals with India’s communal situation, at a function in New Delhi on February 12, 2018. However, Ramanunni donated his prize money of Rs 1 lakh to the mother of Junaid Khan, the teen stabbed to death on a Mathura-bound train from New Delhi in June 2017.
3. (c) Ramesh Kuntal Megh
Ramesh Kuntal Megh won the award in Hindi for his literary criticism work Vishw Mithak Sarit Sagar. The annual Sahitya Akademi awards for 2017 were presented at a function in New Delhi on February 12, 2018. The awards were given in 23 languages.
4. (d) Nitin Gadkari
The Minister of road and Transport Nitin Gadkari released India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual in New Delhi. The manual, known as Indo-HCM, has been developed by CSIR – CRRI on the basis of an extensive, country-wide study of the traffic characteristics on different categories of roads like single lane, two-lane, multi-lane urban roads, inter-urban highways and expressways and the associated intersections on these roads.
5. (a) Cyprus
Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades won a second five-year term as voters gave a thumbs-up to his record in containing an economic meltdown in 2013 and conducting abortive peace talks with the Turkish Cypriots.
6. (b) Reserve Bank of India
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) came out with a revised framework for expeditious resolution of bad loans, harmonising the existing guidelines with the norms specified in the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
7. (c) Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, former Liberian President, has been honoured with the 2018 Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership for excellence in African leadership. The $5 million African Leadership prize is awarded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation which honours role models on a continent where many leaders have stayed in power for decades.
8. (d) Saudi Arabia
The Saudi public prosecutor’s office will recruit women as investigators for the first time, as the kingdom seeks to boost female employment under a reform plan for a post-oil era. Vacancies are available for women’s positions on the staff of the public prosecution for the rank of lieutenant investigator.
9. (b) 108
Renowned sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik created 108 sand Shiva Lingas yesterday at Puri beach on the occasion of 'Maha Shivaratri'. While each Shiva Linga is about 2 feet high, there is also a 5 feet high idol of Lord Shiva. Mr Pattnaik also prayed to Lord Shiva for World peace.
10. (c) India
India will host the 8th edition of Theatre Olympics from February 17, 2018. The event which will continue till 8th of April will be inaugurated by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu at Lal Quila, Delhi.
11. (a) London
London City Airport reopened after an unexploded 500 kilogram World War Two bomb was safely moved from the area. The device was discovered at the King George V Dock on Sunday during planned work at the east London airport.
12. (a) Ashok Das
Ashok Das, a 1987 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, was on February 13, 2018 named as India's new Ambassador to Brazil.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.