17 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Pocket Cop project, ATP men’s ranking and NASA’s exoplanet survey satellite among others.
1. Which state’s Chief Minister has launched Pocket Cop project?
a) Uttar Pradesh
2. Who is currently the top-ranked Indian in ATP men’s singles ranking?
a) Yuki Bhambri
b) Leander Paes
c) Rohan Bopanna
d) Divij Sharan
3. Which country has launched a website to report foreign spies?
b) North Korea
c) United States
4. Who has been appointed as the youth ambassador for Commonwealth?
a) Prince William
b) Prince Harry
c) Kate Middleton
d) Meghan Markle
5. The people of Guatemala voted recently asking UN top court to resolve the territorial claim of the nation. According to the centuries-old dispute, Guatemala stakes claim to almost half of which nations’ territory?
b) El Salvador
6. Which country has decided to grant official pardon to 8,000 prisoners who had been convicted of political offences?
c) Sri Lanka
7. The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting 2018 began in which country?
a) United Kingdom
d) Hong Kong
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
8. Name the planet-hunting telescope that will be launched by NASA to search exoplanets?
c) Hubble Space
d) James Webb Space
9. PM Modi launched first of 1.5 lakh health and wellness centres under the recently launched Ayushman Bharat Scheme in which state?
10. Which country developed a new 3D conic device that can greatly increase the solar-thermal conversion efficiency?
11. Which international organisation recently launched the Road Safety Trust Fund to improve road safety worldwide?
a) United Nations
b) World Bank
c) International Monetary Fund
d) All of above
12. Which organisation recently released a report depicting that Indian economy has recovered from impact of demonetisation, GST?
b) World Bank
c) Business Insider
d) Asian Development Bank
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) Gujarat
The Chief Minister of Gujarat has launched ‘Pocket Cop Project in order to ensure that the police force of the state is equipped with modern day technology. Under the project, every officer in charge of the police station, Investigating Officer, PCR van and officials handling the passport verification process shall be equipped with a smartphone enabled with internet connectivity.
2. (a) Yuki Bhambri
Indian tennis star Yuki Bhambri on April 16, 2018 broke back into the top-100 of ATP men’s singles ranking for the first time since February 2016. As per the latest rankings, he jumped 22 places to his career-best rank of 83. This is also the best rank that any Indian has achieved in the ATP singles chart since Somdev Devvarman touched a career-high of 62 in July 2011.
3. (d) China
China has stepped up its campaign against foreign espionage with a website in Mandarin and English encouraging people to report national security threats such as bids to overthrow the socialist system. According to the website, the informants will be rewarded for discovering espionage equipment or for tip-offs on anyone suspected of buying or selling state secrets.
4. (b) Prince Harry
Queen Elizabeth has appointed Prince Harry as a youth ambassador for the Commonwealth, a role that will see him encouraging young people to use the network of mostly former British colonies to address their challenges.
5. (a) Belize
The people of Guatemala voted on April 15, 2018 to ask the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to step in and resolve the claim that the nation owns half of the territory of its neighbouring nation Belize. The dispute dates back to the 18th century, during the Spanish and British colonial rule of the region.
6. (d) Myanmar
Myanmar's newly-elected President Win Myint announced on April 17, 2018 that over 8,000 prisoners will be freed in an amnesty, a move the government said would bring about humanitarian support amid the country's political reforms after decades of military rule.
7. (a) United Kingdom
The United Kingdom is hosting the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) with leaders from member countries gathering in London and Windsor. The Commonwealth is a diverse community of 53 nations that work together to promote prosperity, democracy and peace.
8. (b) TESS
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is set to launch its Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) to detect planets outside the solar system. Once put in orbit, Tess will spend around two years, surveying some 200000 of the brightest stars near the Sun in search of planets.
9. (c) Chhattisgarh
On April 14, 2018, PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the first health centre under Ayushman Bharat Scheme on the occasion of Ambedkar Jayanti at Jangla village in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh.
10. (d) China
A team of Chinese scientists led by Zhu Jia have developed a new 3D conic device that can greatly increase the solar-thermal conversion efficiency. Named as ‘Artificial Transpiration’, the device is inspired by the transpiration process of trees.
11. (a) United Nations
United Nations’ Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed on April 12, 2018 announced the launch of the ‘UN Road Safety Trust Fund’ to stimulate action that can save lives and prevent injuries and sufferings associated with road accidents.
12. (b) World Bank
As per the World Bank’s South Asia Economic Focus Spring 2018 report, Indian economy has recovered from the impact of demonetisation and the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax regime and is projected to grow by 7.3 percent in 2018 and 7.5 percent in 2019.