17 September 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as International Day of Democracy, Chiller Star Labelling Program and 'smart fence' pilot project among others.
1. Which Union Ministry launched the Chiller Star Labelling Program recently?
a) Union Ministry of Power
b) Union Ministry of Science & Technology
c) Union Ministry of Environment
d) Union Ministry of Home Affairs
2. Which country will host the World Heritage Cuisine Summit 2018?
3. Where will be the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas held?
4. United Nations recently decided to end the tuberculosis epidemic by which year?
5. Which section of Indian Penal Code (IPC) deals with dowry harassment cases?
a) Section 498-A
b) Section 398-A
c) Section 375
d) Section 475
6. When is the International Day of Democracy observed every year?
a) September 14
b) September 15
c) September 16
d) September 17
7. Which state government has signed a friendship and cooperation agreement with Seoul to tackle environmental and infrastructural issues?
c) New Delhi
8. The Indian Space Research Organisation recently launched its polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV- C42) carrying two earth observation satellites that belonged to which among the following nations?
a) United Kingdom
b) United States
9. The DRDO conducted first successful flight test of this indigenously designed missile on September 15.
a) BrahMos VI
10. Which nation has announced steps to check its rising Current Account Deficit and fall in currency?
d) Sri Lanka
11. India's first 'smart fence' pilot project was inaugurated by Union Home Minister in which state?
b) Himachal Pradesh
c) Arunachal Pradesh
d) Jammu and Kashmir
12. Two Indians- Satyarup Siddhanta and Mousumi Khatua created history by climbing this peak, which is also known as Asia's highest volcanic peak!
a) Mount Fuji
b) Mount Damavand
c) Mount Ararat
d) Mount Kazbek
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Union Ministry of Power
Ministry of Power launched an ambitious program to encourage the deployment of Energy Efficient chiller systems in the country. The Chiller Star Labelling Program has been formulated by Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
2. (b) India
The first edition of the World Heritage Cuisine Summit and food festival will be held at the Qila Gobindgarh in Amritsar, Punjab from October 12-14, 2018. It will be organise by the World Cultural Culinary Heritage Committee, under the aegis of the World Association of Chefs’ Societies (World Chefs).
3. (c) Varanasi
The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) from January 21 to January 23, 2019. Its theme will be “Role of Indian Diaspora in Building a New India”.
4. (d) 2030
United Nations member states have agreed on a global plan to step up fight against tuberculosis. The text of a final declaration will be formally adopted at the first- ever TB summit on September 26. At the summit, world leaders will commit to end the tuberculosis epidemic by 2030.
5. (a) Section 498-A
The Supreme Court of India on September 14, 2018 modified its July 2017 order in dowry harassment case for preventing misuse of Section 498A of Indian Penal Code (IPC). The apex court restored the power of the police to arrest the husband and his family members on a complaint of dowry harassment under IPC Section 498A but retained the power of courts to grant anticipatory or regular bail to accused.
6. (b) September 15
The International Day of Democracy was observed across the world on September 15, 2018. The day provides an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world. The theme of the 2018 International Day of Democracy was ‘Democracy under Strain: Solutions for a Changing World’.
7. (c) New Delhi
The Delhi government has signed a 'Friendship and Cooperation Agreement' with the Seoul Metropolitan Government to work closely in the fields of environment, tourism, waste water and solid waste management, infrastructure and public health.
8. (a) United Kingdom
The Indian Space Research Organisation has successfully launched its polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV) C42 carrying two earth observation satellites for the United Kingdom. With this, the total number of foreign satellites launched by India goes up to 239.
9. (b) MP-ATGM
India’s Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on September 15, 2018 conducted the first successful flight test of its new indigenously designed and developed low weight man-portable anti-tank guided missile (MP-ATGM) at Ahmednagar test range in Maharashtra.
10. (a) India
The Union Government on September 14, 2018 announced a host of measures to check the rising Current Account Deficit (CAD) and the fall in rupee. The current account deficit is a measurement of a country's trade where the value of the goods and services it imports exceeds the value of the goods and services it exports.
11. (d) Jammu and Kashmir
India's first 'smart fence' pilot project was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh along the Indo-Pak border at the BSF Headquarters in Ploura, Jammu on September 17, 2018. The smart fencing uses a number of devices for surveillance, communication and data storage.
12. (b) Mount Damavand
Mountaineers Satyarup Siddhanta and Mousumi Khatua have created history by climbing Asia's highest volcanic peak Mount Damavand in Iran. At the elevation of 5,609 metres, Mount Damavand is a potentially active volcano. The expedition team comprised of three members, Siddhanta, Mousumi and Bhaswati Chatterjee.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.