2 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like the launch of Mihir system, India Open Tournament and new Director-General of SAI among others.
1. Which Indian female boxer won gold at the India Open Boxing tournament in the 48kg weight category?
a) Mary Kom
b) Pinki Rani
c) Lovlina Borgohain
d) L Sarita Devi
2. The government has proposed to build a tunnel through which pass located near the China border in Arunachal Pradesh?
a) Nathu La
b) Khardung La
c) Mana Pass
d) Sela Pass
3. Three nests of rare vulture species were discovered in which nation?
4. India has extended the agreement on its second solitary rail service with which nation?
5. The political parties have signed a joint declaration to boycott which state’s polls in 2018?
6. The Union Home Ministry has allotted how much fund to strengthen border infrastructure?
a) Rs 370 crore
b) Rs 280 crore
c) Rs 460 crore
d) Rs 410 crore
7. Which union minister launched 2.8 Peta Flops High Performance Computer (HPC) system ‘Mihir’?
b) Arun Jaitley
c) Suresh Prabhu
d) Sushma Swaraj
8. Which Indian-American personality was elected as the Vice Chairman of the US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum (USISPF)?
a) Richard Verma
b) Shantanu Narayen
c) Shanu Rawat
d) Sayam Chakarvarty
9. India signed how much amount of loan agreement with ADB for construction of over 6200 kilometre rural roads in five states?
a) USD 750 million
b) USD 500 million
c) USD 250 million
d) USD 100 million
10. Who was appointed the Director-General of the Sports Authority of India (SAI)?
a) Paras Jain
b) Vandana Jha
c) Rajiv Saxena
d) Neelam Kapoor
11. What was India’s rank in the 2017 EIU Global Democracy Index?
12. Name the long-lost NASA satellite that was discovered recently by an amateur astronomer.
a) IMAGE satellite
b) JUNO satellite
c) TERRA satellite
d) POLAR satellite
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Mary Kom
The five-time World Champion and Olympic bronze medallist, Mary Kom on February 2, 2018 claimed the gold medal in the India Open International Boxing tournament at Thyagraj Indoor Stadium in New Delhi. Kom defeated Josie Gabuco from the Philippines in a split 4-1 decision to grab the gold in the women's 48kg weight category.
2. (d) Sela Pass
The Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced while presenting the Union Budget 2018 that the government would be building a tunnel through the Sela Pass in Arunachal Pradesh. The construction of the tunnel will ensure faster movement of troops in Tawang, a strategically- located town in Arunachal Pradesh bordering China.
3. (b) Cambodia
According to the US-based Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), three nests of the critically endangered red-headed vulture were found this month in Chhep Wildlife Sanctuary in Cambodia. The population of the species is reported to be less than 50 in Cambodia. Hence, the new discovery raises hope that conservation effort may help save the species from possible extinction.
4. (a) Pakistan
India and Pakistan on January 30, 2018 extended their agreement on Thar Link Express, the second solitary rail service between the two nations, for three more years. The extension comes at a time tension prevailed along the border between the two countries in Jammu and Kashmir.
5. (d) Nagaland
All political parties in Nagaland including the ruling Naga People's Front (NPF) signed a joint declaration on January 29, 2018 of not taking part in the state’s election, which is due later this month. Upholding the agreement, no political party in the state issued tickets to any candidate. The BJP however, has backed out of the agreement.
6. (a) Rs 370 crore
The Union Home Ministry on February 1, 2018 sanctioned nearly Rs 370 crore to Border Security Force (BSF) and Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) for construction of bunkers and special climate- controlled huts in forward areas.
7. (a) Harshvardhan
Dr Harshvardhan, the Union Minister of Earth Sciences (MoES), launched a 2.8 Peta Flops capacity High Performance Computer (HPC) system ‘Mihir’ to improve India’s weather forecasting. The new HPC facility is expected to improve weather forecasts at the block level across India, predict extreme weather events, and offer high resolution seasonal and extended range forecasts of active/break spells of the monsoon.
8. (b) Shantanu Narayen
Shantanu Narayen, the Indian-American CEO of Adobe, was elected as the Vice Chairman of the US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum (USISPF). The USISPF is a new organisation that has been set up to enhance business relations between India and the US.
9. (c) USD 250 million
Union Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a USD 250 million loan agreement for the construction of over 6,200 kilometres all-weather rural roads in Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
10. (d) Neelam Kapoor
Neelam Kapoor, a 1982 batch officer of the Indian Information Service (IIS), was appointed as the new director general of the Sports Authority of India (SAI). At present, she is the Principal Director General of the Directorate of Field Publicity.
11. (a) 42nd
India was ranked 42nd out of 165 countries at the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)’s annual Global Democracy Index due to rise of conservative religious ideologies and increase in vigilantism and violence against minorities as well as other dissenting voices.
12. (a) IMAGE satellite
An amateur astronomer on January 20, 2018 recorded observations of a satellite in high Earth orbit. This satellite was a long-lost NASA satellite- Imager for Magnetopause-to-Aurora Global Exploration (IMAGE) satellite.