22 January 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like the appointment of new Chief Election Commissioner, Kachra Mahotsav and new Governor of Madhya Pradesh among others.
1. India is expected to overtake which nation to become the world’s fastest growing large economy?
2. The World Economic Forum has ranked India at which position on the Inclusive Development Index 2018?
3. Saudi Arabia has announced 1.5 billion USD in aid to which nation?
4. Which state is hosting the 8th International Conference on wild silk moths?
5. The garbage festival called ‘Kachra Mahotsav’ was organised in which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
6. Who was appointed as the new Chief Election Commissioner on January 21, 2018 by President Ram Nath Kovind?
a) Om Prakash Rawat
b) Achal Kumar Joti
c) Sunil Arora
d) Ashok Lavasa
7. Bellandur Lake, the lake covered with several feet of toxic foam caught fire recently yet again. Which city is it located in?
8. Who has been appointed as the chairman of the newly-constituted UPSSSC?
a) Chandra Bhushan Paliwal
b) Hriday Narrain Rao
c) Seema Rani
d) Onkar Prasad Mishra
9. Which country’s team has won the 5th edition of Blind Cricket World Cup 2018?
10. Anandiben Patel has been appointed as the Governor of which state?
a) Uttar Pradesh
c) Madhya Pradesh
11. Which nation has announced the world’s first public register against money laundering?
12. Which state is going to have candidates' picture on EVMs in upcoming bypolls?
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) China
According to Sanctum Wealth Management report, India will become the fastest growing economy in the world in 2018, surpassing even China and the country’s equity market will jump to become the fifth largest in the world.
2. (b) 62
India has been ranked at the 62nd place among emerging economies on an Inclusive Development Index, released by World Economic Forum (WEF). India's position is much below its neighbours, China and Pakistan, which are ranked at 26th and 47th positions respectively.
3. (d) Yemen
Saudi Arabia has announced 1.5 billion US Dollars in new aid for Yemen, where nearly three years of conflict has devastated the local economy and pushed millions to the brink of famine, causing what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
4. (b) Assam
The eighth edition of the International Conference on Wild Silk Moths has begun in Guwahati, Assam. Attending the program, Minister of State for Textiles Ajay Tamta said that the Centre has taken the slew of measures for the development of silk and textile sector. He said that 110 districts of North East are silk producers and hoped that the conference would help in increasing income of the people of the region who are involved with silk industry.
5. (d) Chhattisgarh
The garbage festival ’Kachra Mahotsav’ was organized in the Raipur, the capital city of Chhattisgarh. This unique fest was organised by the Raipur Municipal Corporation with the objective to increase awareness and guide people on waste management and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labelled as garbage.
6. (a) Om Prakash Rawat
Senior-most Election Commissioner, Om Prakash Rawat was appointed as the Chief Election Commissioner in the Election Commission on 21st January 2018. He would be succeeding outgoing CEC Achal Kumar Joti, who retires on 22nd January.
7. (d) Bengaluru
The highly polluted Bellandur Lake in Bengaluru caught fire on January 19, 2018 for the fifth time in the last two and half years. The blaze could not be fully controlled and raged on for at least 12 hours. The lake is fully covered with toxic foam and froth.
8. (a) Chandra Bhushan Paliwal
Chandra Bhushan Paliwal was appointed as the chairman of the newly-constituted Uttar Pradesh Subordinate Services Selection Commission (UPSSSC) on January 22, 2018. Hriday Narrain Rao, Seema Rani, Onkar Prasad Mishra, Arun Kumar Sinha and Ashok Kumar Agarwal have been made members of the Commission. UPSSSC is authorised to conduct examinations for appointments to various government posts in the state.
9. (d) India
The Indian cricket team has won the 5th edition of Blind Cricket World Cup 2018 by defeating Pakistan in the final by two wickets at Sharjah in United Arab Emirates (UAE). With this, India has retained the World Cup for the Blind.
10. (c) Madhya Pradesh
The former Chief Minister of Gujarat, Anandiben Patel has been appointed by President Ram Nath Kovind as the new Governor of Madhya Pradesh. Patel would be replacing Om Prakash Kohli, who was holding the additional charge of the office of MP Governor along with the office of Gujarat Governor.
11. (d) Britain
Britain has announced the world's first public register that requires overseas companies that own or buy property in the country to provide details of their ultimate owners. The government is set to publish relevant draft laws and the register will go live by early 2021.
12. (a) Rajastham
Rajasthan's Chief Election Officer Ashwani Bhagat announced on 19th January 2018 that the Electronic Voting Machines in the state’s by-polls would carry photographs of candidates contesting elections. The by-polls are due on 29th January in Ajmer and Alwar Parliamentary seats along with Mandalgarh Assembly seat.