25 April 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as World Book and Copyright Day, Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan and 2018 Secure India Conclave among others.
1. Which state government has launched a mission to increase organic turmeric?
d) West Bengal
2. US and France have called for a new nuclear deal with which nation?
a) North Korea
3. The cabinet of which state government has approved ordinance on death penalty for child rapists?
b) Uttar Pradesh
c) Jammu & Kashmir
4. When is the World Book and Copyright Day observed every year?
a) April 21
b) April 22
c) April 23
d) April 24
5. NASA is going to start building a platform that will serve as a gateway for astronauts travelling to and from which space body?
6. The Indian government has signed a $125 million worth agreement for ‘Innovate in India for Inclusiveness Project’ with which international organization?
a) World Bank
b) International Monetary Fund
c) Asian Development Bank
d) European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
7. Name the northeast state from which the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) was completely removed recently?
b) Arunachal Pradesh
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
8. Name the jailed Egyptian photographer who won the 2018 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize?
a) Mohammed Morsi
b) Mahmoud Abu Zeid
c) Mohamed ElBaradei
d) Abdel Moneim Fotouh
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan in which state?
a) Madhya Pradesh
b) Uttar Pradesh
10. When is the 2018 National Panchayati Raj Day (NPRD) celebrated in India?
a) April 23
b) April 24
c) April 25
d) April 26
11. The Union Home Ministry has decided to relax the six-decade-old Protected Area Permit regime in certain north-eastern states. Which among the following states is still a protected area and is not included in the exemption?
12. Which city hosted the 2018 Secure India Conclave?
d) New Delhi
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Meghalaya
The Meghalaya government has launched a mission to register a five-fold increase in the production of Lakadong turmeric, an organic variety grown in the state, to at least 50,000 metric tonne per year in the next five years.
2. (d) Iran
US President Donald Trump, who is sceptical of a nuclear accord that was struck between the world powers and Iran in 2015, discussed the issue with his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron in Washington on April 24, 2018 and spoke about doing a much bigger deal with the nation.
3. (c) Jammu & Kashmir
The state cabinet of Jammu and Kashmir has approved the Jammu and Kashmir Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018 that provides death penalty to the rapists of children below the age of 12 years. In case of rape of children between 12 and 16 years of age, the punishment would carry rigorous imprisonment of 20 years that may extend to a life sentence.
4. (c) April 23
The World Book and Copyright Day is observed every year on April 23 to raise public awareness of books and reading and pay tribute to authors in the book industry, professionals or volunteers. The day is organised by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
5. (a) Mars
NASA will start work on its Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway by early 2019, when it will award the first contract for the program. The lunar platform will be NASA's planned ‘staging’ area for studies of the moon and the deep-space environment. It will eventually also function as a gateway space station for Astronauts travelling to and from Mars.
6. (a) World Bank
The Union Government and World Bank have signed a $125 million agreement for the ‘Innovate in India for Inclusiveness Project’ to support India in developing an innovative biopharmaceutical and medical devices industry, which is globally competitive.
7. (a) Meghalaya
The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) was completely removed from Meghalaya and some areas of Arunachal Pradesh with effect from April 1, 2018. At present, AFSPA is applicable only in Nagaland, Manipur (excluding Imphal), Assam and parts of Arunachal Pradesh.
8. (b) Mahmoud Abu Zeid
Jailed Egyptian photographer Mahmoud Abu Zeid, popularly known as Shawkan, on April 23, 2018 won the 2018 Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization’s (UNESCO).
9. (a) Madhya Pradesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan at Ram Nagar in Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh on the occasion of 2018 National Panchayati Raj Day. The purpose of the scheme is to strengthen the country’s Panchayati Raj system and address critical gaps that hinder its success.
10. (b) April 24
The National Panchayati Raj Day (NPRD) is celebrated every year in India on April 24 by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj. On this day, in 1993, the Constitution (73rd Amendment) Act, 1992 came into force that has institutionalised Panchayati Raj through the village, Intermediate and District level Panchayats.
11. (d) Sikkim
The Union Home Ministry has decided to relax the six-decade-old Protected Area Permit regime from the north-eastern states of Nagaland, Mizoram and Manipur for a period of five years. The decision would allow foreign tourists, except those from Pakistan, China and Afghanistan, to visit the states without having a special permit.
12. (d) New Delhi
The 2018 Secure India Conclave began in New Delhi on April 24, 2018. It is being organised by Global Counter Terrorism keeping in view Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of New India : Secure India 2018.