6 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like KUSUM Scheme, Union Budget 2018 and World Cancer Day among others.
1. When is the World Cancer Day (WCD) observed every year?
a) 2 February
b) 3 February
c) 4 February
d) 5 February
2. BJP MP Hukum Singh, who passed away recently, represented which constituency of Uttar Pradesh?
3. Which Ministry launched Green Good Deeds campaign recently?
a) Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
b) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
c) Ministry of Home Affairs
d) Ministry of Human Resource Development
4. The HRD Ministry-appointed committee is expected to submit its report on new National Education Policy (NEP) on March 31, 2018. Name the committee.
a) Ram Kureel committee
b) KJ Alphonse committee
c) Nataranjan committee
d) K Kasturirangan committee
5. The Union Government recently announced to launch which scheme to encourage farmers for solar farming?
a) KUSUM Scheme
b) ABHIMAAN Scheme
c) SAUBHAGYA Scheme
d) KISAN Scheme
6. Sudha Karmarkar, the veteran theatre artist who passed away, belonged to which state?
7. In the Union Budget 2018, the government has allocated how much amount to the Department of Space?
a) Rs 10,783 crore
b) Rs 11,277 crore
c) Rs 9,643 crore
d) Rs 13, 640 crore
8. Which UN body has claimed that the world has failed to stop war on children?
9. When was the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation observed?
a) February 4
b) February 5
c) February 6
d) January 7
10. Sudeep Lakhtakia took charge as the new chief of which Indian Special forces unit?
a) Para Commandos
c) Force One
d) National Security Guard
11. A bill has been introduced to cut non-defence aid to Pakistan in which nation’s Parliament?
12. According to a latest study, which type of plants originated 250 million years ago?
c) Flowering Plants
1. (c) 4 February
The World Cancer Day (WCD) is observed every year on 4 February to raise awareness about cancer, its treatment and to encourage methods of its prevention. The theme for the World Cancer Day 2016-2018 is ‘We can. I can.’ The theme throws light on how everyone, as a collective or as individuals, can do their part to reduce the global burden of cancer.
2. (a) Kairana
Hukum Singh, the BJP MP from Kairana in Uttar Pradesh, passed away in Noida, Uttar Pradesh on February 3, 2018. He was a member of the Panel of Chairpersons of the 16th Lok Sabha and the Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Water Resources.
3. (b) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
Dr Harsh Vardhan, the Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, launched people-oriented campaign “Green Good Deeds” to sensitize the people and students about climate change and global warming.
4. (d) K Kasturirangan committee
The 9-member committee, headed by former ISRO chief K Kasturirangan, was constituted by the Union HRD Ministry to draft new National Education Policy (NEP) on June 2017. The committee will submit its report by March 31, 2018.
5. (a) KUSUM scheme
The Union Government on February 2, 2018 announced to launch 1.4 lakh crore Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan (KUSUM) Scheme to encourage farmers for solar farming. The Union Government will spend Rs 48000 crore on the scheme in ten year time span.
6. (b) Maharashtra
Veteran theatre artist, director, and pioneer of Children’s Theatre in Maharashtra, Sudha Karmarkar passed away in Mumbai on February 5, 2018 due to old age problems. She was 83. Karmarkar was the founder of ‘Bal Rangbhumi- Little Theatre’, a Children’s theatre in Mumbai and directed various plays for children.
7. (a) Rs 10,783 crore
In the presentation of Budget 2018-19, the Union Government allocated Rs 10,783 crore to the Department of Space for various space-related projects. The Department has been tasked with achieving high targets including delivering three earth observation satellites and two communication satellites by next fiscal year.
8. (b) UNICEF
According to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), violence has taken a devastating toll on children across the world, as they are either being killed in ongoing conflicts or suicide attacks or getting frozen to death while fleeing from active war zones.
9. (c) February 6
The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation was observed on February 6, 2018. The day is observed every year to eradicate the practice of female genital mutilation. It was first introduced in 2003.
10. (d) National Security Guard
Sudeep Lakhtakia has taken charge as the Director General (DG) of National Security Guard (NSG), succeeding S P Singh. He was serving as a Special DG in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) headquarters in New Delhi.
11. (a) US
A bill was introduced on February 6, 2018 in the US House of Representatives to end non-defence aid to Pakistan as it "provides military aid and intelligence" to terrorists. The bill sought that the amount should be redirected to infrastructure projects in the country.
12. (c) Flowering Plants
According to a study published on February 5, 2018, flowering plants may have originated between 149 and 256 million years ago. Researchers found that flowering plants are neither as old as suggested by previous molecular studies, nor as young as a literal interpretation of their fossil record.