9 January 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like 75th Golden Globe Award, GOLD and ICON Missions and India’s first and fastest supercomputer among others.
1. Who became the first African-American to win 75th Golden Globe Award for best actor in a drama television series?
a) Sterling K Brown
b) Will Smith
c) Ewan McGregor
d) Alexander Skarsgard
2. Indian Navy recently signed MoU with which port trust for utilizing the Port’s berthing facility at Mattancherry wharf for Naval ships?
a) Kandla Port Trust
b) Cochin Port Trust
c) Chennai Port Trust
d) Pipavav Port Trust
3. GOLD and ICON Missions were recently announced to be launched to explore area above earth's surface. These missions will be launched by which organisation?
4. Which Payments Bank tied up with IndusInd Bank to provide FD facility to customers?
a) Fino Payments Bank
b) India Post Payments Bank
c) Airtel Payments Bank
d) Paytm Payments Bank
5. Which country has recently decided to introduce oil based cryptocurrency?
c) Saudi Arabia
6. Which country will confer its highest order of merit to Bengali actor Soumitra Chattopadhyay?
a) United Kingdom
7. World Champion Saksham Yadav recently passed away in a road accident. He had won the 2017 world championships in which sporting category?
8. Which country is going to extend its state of emergency for the sixth time?
9. The Supreme Court ordered a stay on which HC’s order that overturned the 2014 government regulation that packets of tobacco products must carry pictorial warning covering 85 per cent of the packaging space?
a) Allahabad HC
b) Karnataka HC
c) Delhi HC
d) Madras HC
10. What is the name of India’s first and fastest supercomputer?
11. Which state government has banned the use of electronic cigarettes?
a) Uttar Pradesh
b) Madhya Pradesh
12. 18th All India Whips’ Conference was held on 8 January 2018 in which city?
c) New Delhi
1. (a) Sterling K Brown
Actor Sterling K Brown created history by becoming the first African-American to win 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards for best actor in a drama television series for his role as Randall Pearson on NBC’s breakout hit “This Is Us”.
2. (b) Cochin Port Trust
The Indian Navy signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Cochin Port Trust (CPT) for utilizing the Port’s berthing facility at Mattancherry wharf for Naval ships. As per the MoU, Cochin Port’s Q2 and Q3 berths at Mattacherry wharf, totaling 228 metre quay length, would be handed over to the Indian Navy for five years for berthing their ships.
3. (c) NASA
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) on 4 January 2018 announced to launch two missions to explore 60 miles (96 KM) of area above Earth's surface. The Global-scale Observations of the Limb and Disk (GOLD) mission will be launched aboard a commercial communications satellite in January 2018 itself, while the other mission Ionospheric Connection Explorer (ICON) will be launched later in 2018.
4. (d) Paytm Payments Bank
Paytm Payments Bank partnered with Induslnd Bank to introduce a facility to create a fixed deposit when the customer balance exceeds Rs 1 lakh at the end of day. Paytm Payments Bank customers can redeem their deposits instantly, anytime without paying any pre-closure or miscellaneous charges.
5. (a) Venezuela
Venezuela would issue 100 million units of its new oil-backed cryptocurrency in coming days. The announcement was made by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. Venezuela has the world's largest oil reserves and makes 95 per cent of its export revenue from oil.
6. (c) France
France will be conferring its highest order of merit, the 'Legion of Honour', on legendary film and theatre actor Soumitra Chattopadhyay at the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair. The announcement was made by French Ambassador Alexandre Ziegler in New Delhi.
7. (b) Powerlifting
World Champion Powerlifter Saksham Yadav along with four other national-level powerlifters was killed after their car met with an accident near the Delhi-Haryana border on 7 January 2017. The athletes were travelling on the Delhi-Panipat National Highway-1 in a Swift Dezire car, when they met with the accident around 4 am, near Alipur village of Delhi, close to the Singhu border between Delhi and Haryana.
8. (a) Turkey
Turkey is going to extend the state of emergency imposed after the 2016 failed coup for the sixth time, despite criticism that it is used to target Ankara's critics. The Deputy Prime Minister of the nation, Bekir Bozdag stated that the state of emergency will be ‘extended one more time’ for three months and would be discussed at the next National Security Council meeting. The latest extension is set to end on 19 January.
9. (b) Karnataka HC
The Supreme Court of India on 8 January 2018 stayed the Karnataka High Court order, which overturned the 2014 government regulation that packets of tobacco products must carry pictorial warning covering 85 per cent of the packaging space.
10. (d) Pratyush
Union Minister of Earth Sciences Harsh Vardhan dedicated to India, the nation’s first and fastest multi-petaflops supercomputer at the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) in Pune on 8 January 2017. Named ‘Pratyush’, which means the Sun, the supercomputer will be a national facility for improving weather and climate forecasts and services under the umbrella of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
11. (c) Bihar
The Bihar Government has banned electronic cigarettes in the state. E-cigarette is a battery run electronic device that tries to create the feeling of tobacco smoking. It works by heating a liquid to generate an aerosol that users inhale. The prohibition will also be extended to online portals, which were prime facilitators between the distributors and the end user.
12. (a) Udaipur
The 18th All India Whips’ Conference was inaugurated by Union Minister of Parliamentary Affairs and Chemicals & Fertilizers Ananth Kumar on 8 January 2018 in Udaipur, Rajasthan. The conference will conclude on 9 January 2018.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.