9 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Zika virus, joint maritime exercise JIMEX 18 and issuance of Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 among others.
1. Union Minister for Shipping Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stone for the development work of Ghagra River as National Waterway-40 in which state?
b) Uttar Pradesh
d) Tamil Nadu
2. The Union Government, in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), on October 8, 2018 decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds 2018-19 from which month?
3. The government constituted the Strategic Policy Group (SPG) to assist the National Security Council under whose chairmanship?
a) Ajit Doval
b) Tapan Ray
c) Sushil Modi
d) Bipin Rawat
4. Recently, over 25 persons were found positive of Zika virus in which Indian state?
5. JIMEX 18, a joint maritime exercise was conducted between India and which country?
6. When the World Post Day is celebrated every year?
a) 8 October
b) 9 October
c) 10 October
d) 11 October
7. Which state is going to be the partner state at Goa International Film Festival?
8. Which social network platform is going to shutdown following exposure of private date due to a bug?
9. The Election Commission has established pink booth in which state for its upcoming assembly elections?
d) Madhya Pradesh
10. The Indian Railways has signed two agreements with which nation?
11. The Indian Government has decided to cover crop loss due to wild animal attacks under which of its schemes?
12. The Confederation of Indian Industry has signed a MoU with which international body for environmental cooperation?
b) UN Environment
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) Uttar Pradesh
Union Minister for Shipping, Road Transport & Highways and Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari will lay the foundation stone for the development work of Ghagra River as National Waterway-40 on October 9, 2018 at Basti in Uttar Pradesh. The project is a part of the Sagarmala Programme of the Union Ministry of Shipping.
2. (a) October
The Sovereign Gold Bonds will be issued every month from October 2018 to February 2019 through banks, Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited (SHCIL), designated post offices, and recognised stock exchanges such as the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange.
3. (a) Ajit Doval
The government constituted a panel, headed by NSA Ajit Doval, to assist the National Security Council, which advises the prime minister on matters of national security and strategic interests. The Strategic Policy Group (SPG) will assist the National Security Council and undertake a long-term strategic review of country's security affairs.
4. (d) Rajasthan
A few cases of Zika virus disease were reported at Jaipur in Rajasthan. The outbreak in Jaipur was detected through the Indian Council of Medical Research surveillance system. A seven-member high-level Central team was deputed to Jaipur immediately following detection of first case.
5. (c) Japan
The third edition of Japan-India Maritime Exercise (JIMEX), JIMEX 18, began on October 7, 2018 at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) Ships under the command of Rear Admiral Tatsuya Fukada, Commander of Escort Flotilla-4 (CCF-4), would be participating in the exercise along with the ships of Eastern Fleet of the Indian Navy from October 7 to 15, 2018.
6. (b) 9 October
The World Post Day is celebrated every year on 9 October marking the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern.
7. (b) Jharkhand
The Goa International Film Festival will be held this year from November 20- 28. The state of Jharkhand will be the partner state this year. This will allow Jharkhand to showcase its culture and favourable film making incentives announced by the state government.
8. (b) Google
Google has said that its social network Google will be shut down after it was discovered that a bug exposed private data of up to 500,000 users to external developers. The technical bug was detected as part of an effort called Project Strobe started by Google early this year.
9. (d) Madhya Pradesh
The Election Commission has established 500 pink booths in Madhya Pradesh ahead of its upcoming assembly elections, which are scheduled to be held on November 28. These polling booths will run by only women officers and workers. Similarly, only disabled employees will ensure election process at 20 to 25 polling stations of the state.
10. (a) Russia
The Union Ministry of Railways has signed a MoU with Russia’s Ministry of Transport for the development of cooperation in transport education. The main objective of the agreement is to provide organisational and methodological support to the higher educational institutions implementing joint projects in the field of transport education in the two countries.
11. (d) PMFBY
The Union Government has decided to cover damages done to crops in case of wild animal attacks under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojna in select districts on an experimental basis. The provisions of the crop insurance scheme were amended in consultation with various stakeholders and the amendments have been implemented from this month.
12. (b) UN Environment
The Confederation of Indian Industry has signed a MoU with the UN Environment for coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development. The initiative builds upon the momentum generated on the World Environment Day, 2018, whose theme was, ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.