A digital installation named as Assembly of Youth was unveiled on 24 September 2015 at the United Nations headquarters in New York, the USA. It was developed for UNICEF by Google.
It was unveiled by UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador David Beckham, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake and two young people from UNICEF Voices of Youth initiative ahead of the UN General Assembly summit on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The purpose of the installation is to bring the voices of children and young people from across the world to the heart of the UN General Assembly.
Features of Assembly of Youth
• It harnesses mobile technology and social media to deliver personal messages from children and young people across the globe directly to world leaders.
• The messages highlight the challenges they face in their homes and communities - including extreme poverty, inequality, violence, deadly disease and conflict – and express their hopes for the future.
• The messages will inform and sensitize world leaders and motivate them to take appropriate action to transform the lives of millions of most disadvantaged children and young people.
• Data displayed in the installation is drawn from U-Report, a free SMS-based system that allows young people to speak out on the issues they face and what is happening in their communities.
• Data is also derived from outreach to children and young people across UNICEF social media channels.
• U-Report is a groundbreaking text-message based innovation, set up by UNICEF.
• It amplifies the voices and views of young people in developing countries.
• U-Reporters can share their opinions on everything from the job skills they want to the best way to tackle epidemics.
• This information is instantly mapped and analyzed, yielding vital information and real-time insights about how young people see their world and what they think is most important.
• These aggregated views are used by development partners in their advocacy with governments and also shared directly with elected leaders.
About Voices of Youth
Set up by UNICEF, it is a global community of youth bloggers from all over the world which gives young people the opportunity to learn about development issues and to express their opinions.
It seeks to create a space that will help young people develop into active global citizens equipped to communicate and collaborate effectively to make a positive difference in their countries and communities.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Youth of Assembly
When: 24 September 2015