The Union Cabinet on 28 September 2016 approved the ratification of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change on 2 October 2016.
Paris Agreement gives thrust to the global actions to address climate change and pertains to post-2020 climate actions.
Significance of India's Ratification of the Paris Agreement
• India’s decision to ratify the agreement will take the number of cumulative level of emission of countries to 51.89 percent.
• With its decision to ratify the Agreement, India will be one of the key countries that will be instrumental in bringing the Paris Agreement into force.
• It will underline India’s responsive leadership in the community of nations committed to global cause of environmental protection and climate justice.
About the Paris Agreement
• The Paris Agreement was adopted by 185 nations on 12 December 2015 and India signed the Paris Agreement in New York on 22 April 2016.
• A total of 191 countries have signed to the Paris Agreement so far.
• As per the provisions of the Paris Agreement, the treaty will come into force as and when 55 countries contributing to 55 percent of total global emission ratify the agreement.
• So far, 61 countries have deposited their instruments of ratification, acceptance or approval accounting in total for 47.79 percent of the total global greenhouse gas emissions.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 28 September 2016