The Union Environment Ministry on April 16, 2018 notified the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2018.
As per the amended rules, the phasing out of Multilayered Plastic (MLP) will now be valid. The Multilayered Plastic is non-recyclable, non-energy recoverable and has no alternate use.
Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2018
• The amended rules recommend a central registration system for the registration of the producer, importer or brand owner.
• The rules clarify that the registration mechanisms should be automated and should take into account ease of doing business for producers, recyclers and manufacturers.
• The centralised registration system will be evolved by Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) for the registration of the producer, importer or brand owner.
• Producers with presence in more than two states need to apply for national registry with the Central Pollution Control Board, while, small producers or brand owners operating within one or two states require a state-level registration with the State Pollution Control Board.
• The Rule 15 of the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2018 has been removed. This rule stated the explicit pricing of the carry bags.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change had constituted a committee on issues and challenges faced while implementing the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 and Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016.
The committee examined several issues faced by the stakeholders in the implementation of the Plastic Waste Management Rules and submitted its recommendations to the Ministry, following which, the Ministry notified the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2018 on March 27, 2018.