The Union Ministry of Shipping on 17 October 2016 sanctioned the Capital Dredging Project for Ro Pax Ferry Services between Gogha & Dahej, in Gulf of Cambay in Gujarat.
The step was taken as a part of promoting coastal shipping in the country under Sagarmala programme. It is one of the flagship projects under Sagarmala which aims to increase share of waterways transportation in modal mix to 10% from present level of 7% by year 2025.
• The Ministry released 58.50 crore rupees as first instalment of grant-in–aid to Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB).
• The total project cost is estimated to be 234 crore rupees of which 50% will be funded by Union Government under the Sagarmala programme.
• The project will result in reduction in motorable distance of 231 kilometres between Gogha and Dahej to mere 31 kilometres and reduce the travel time from 7 hours to 1 hour only by crossing the Gulf in Cambay in 17 Nautical Miles.
• The initiative will also result in savings in fuel, reduction in CO2 emission and reduction in road congestion.
• The project is first of its kinds in India as it will be executed in the area of world’s second highest tidal range.
• The project will open up new avenues in coastal shipping and tourism.
• It will also help in socio-economic development of proximate areas.
• It will help in utilisation of inland waterways through River Narmada for shipping goods from industries located upstream.
When: 17 October 2016