The Union Government on 12 March 2013 decided to provide a financial assistance of 41.21 crore rupees to protect Pashmina goat which produces world-famous fine luxury fibre.
The idea of providing assistance came in light of concern over the recent deaths of thousands of Pashmina goats in the Ladakh region.
As per the assistance, there is plan which ideates a new Pashmina Wool Development Scheme with a special package and a financial allocation of 41.21 crore rupees.
Main Components of the Scheme
• It includes assistance for foundation stock in new areas for Pashmina rearing activities.
• Inclusion of Health coverage and feed supplement.
• Strengthening of existing fodder bank and pashmina goat breeding farm.
• It will also include establishment of multipurpose extension centre and pasture farm on migratory routes.
• Development of Breeder orientation training camp for research and development.