Union Government launches Deen Dayal SPARSH Yojana to promote philately
Under the SPARSH scheme, the government will award annual 920 scholarships to children of Class VI to IX having good academic record while pursuing Philately as a hobby through a competitive selection process in all postal circles.
Union Minister of Communications Manoj Sinha on 3 November 2017 launched Deen Dayal SPARSH (Scholarship for Promotion of Aptitude & Research in Stamps as a Hobby) Yojana, a Pan India scholarship program for school children to increase the reach of Philately.
Philately is the hobby of collection and study of Postage stamps. It also includes collection, appreciation and research activities on stamps and other philatelic products. Philately teaches a lot about the socio economic political reality of the period in which the stamp is issued.
Highlights of the Deen Dayal SPARSH Yojana
• Under the SPARSH scheme, the government will award annual 920 scholarships to children of Class VI to IX having good academic record while pursuing Philately as a hobby through a competitive selection process in all postal circles.
• Every Postal Circle will select a maximum of 40 scholarships representing 10 students each from Class VI, VII, VIII and IX.
• The amount of the Scholarship will be Rs 6000 per annum at the rate of Rs 500 per month.
• In order to avail this scholarship, a child must be a student of a recognized school within India and the concerned school should have a Philately Club and the candidate should be a member of the Club.
• In case if the school Philately Club has not been established, a student having his own Philately Deposit Account will also be considered for the scholarship.
• Every potential school will be assigned a Philately mentor to be chosen from amongst the renowned Philatelists.
• The Philately mentor will help in formation of the School level Philately Club, providing guidance to young and aspiring Philatelists on how to pursue the hobby.
• The details of the Scheme will be available on the website at www.postagestamps.gov.in and www.indiapost.gov.in.