The Union Government on 20 December 2016 released Rs 450 crore to Telangana for the development of backward areas in the state during 2016-17.
The special assistance was released in keeping with the Union Government’s commitments to support the development of backward areas.
These additional resources from the Union Government would enable the State to devise and implement schemes best suited for mitigation of backwardness and alleviation of poverty.
The developmental activities would improve the physical and social infrastructure bringing these districts at par with the developed districts of the state.
• Telangana was created as the 29th State of India through the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
• The Act entrusts the Union Government to support the programmes for the development of backward areas in the successor States, including expansion of physical and social infrastructure.
• The Union Government had accordingly released Rs. 450 crore during 2015-16 for the development of 9 backward districts of Telangana.
• The backward districts which are being supported by this development fund are Adilabad, Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Warangal, Medak, Mahbubnagar, Rangareddy, Nalgonda and Khammam.
• Cumulatively, the Union Government has so far released Rs. 900 crore to the State for this purpose.
• Similarly, the Act also directs the Union Government to assist Andhra Pradesh in its development process.
• One of the most important aspects of development assistance to Andhra Pradesh is the declaration of Polavaram as a national project.
• Section of 90 of the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014 directs the Union Government to execute the project and obtain all requisite clearances including environmental, forests, and rehabilitation and resettlement norms.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Union Government
When: 20 December 2016
Telangana Assembly Elections 2018: TRS wins sweeping majority for second straight term
Telangana’s Sadarmatt anicut, Pedda Cheruvu get Heritage Irrigation Structure status
Telangana Cabinet passes resolution to dissolve Legislative Assembly
Telangana launches life insurance scheme worth Rs 5 lakh for farmers