Union Tribal Affairs Minister, Jual Oram on May 29, 2018 launched an exhibition cum sale event ‘The Pankha’ (Hand-fans) at the TRIBES India Showroom in New Delhi. Noted artist Jatin Das also graced the occasion.
These Pankhas are on display at Indira Gandhi National Auditorium (IGNA), New Delhi from May 26, 2018 to June 24, 2018.
These hand fans were created by TRIFED with the help of its artisans from all over the country.
How will TRIFED undertaken marketing of these Pankhas
TRIFED marketing these Pankhas through its 97 retail outlets. TRIFED will market the fans through various Tribes India Outlets located across country.
It will also market this craft on e-commerce portals like Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, GeM where TRIFED is already marketing other tribal handloom products.
• Hand fans are an age old tradition and are an integral part of Indian traditions and customs.
• The Pankhas, a range of exotic hand fans draws inspiration from the eminent Artist Jatin Das and from his collection of 10000 handmade Pankhas.
• Artisans with their artistic creativity have converted a simple utilitarian item into handcrafted masterpieces that not only adorn any urban households, but help provide livelihood opportunities to many.
• These handcrafted masterpieces include Hand Fans made from textile with embroidery and decorations representing individual States traditions, Bamboo, Palm Leaf etc.
Collaboration between TRIBES India, TRIFED and JDCA
TRIFED collaborated with Jatin Das Centre for Arts (JDCA) for taking the initiative of hand fans forward by way of providing marketing support to the tribal artisans who are associated with this craft.
This collaboration will help revive this craft and provide livelihood opportunities for tribal artisans across the country.
These handmade Pankhas were used by all households few years ago. The revival of this by TRIBES India, TRIFED and Jatin Das is a commendable move.
About Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
• TRIFED is a national-level organisation under the administrative control of Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs of India.
• It was established in August 1987 by then Ministry of Welfare under Multi State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984, which has now been replaced by Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 2002.
• It is engaged in marketing of tribal products, including tribal art & craft under the brand name ‘TRIBES India’.
• Its core objective is to institutionalise trade of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) and Surplus Agriculture Produce (SAP) collected by tribals as they are heavily dependent on these for their livelihood.
• The assistance is provided through its State level Channelising Agencies (SCAs), certain Public Sector Banks, Regional Rural Banks, National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), etc.
• At present, sporting Legend Marry Kom is the Brand Ambassador of TRIFED.