Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu was on 17 July 2017 named as the NDA’s candidate for the Vice-Presidential Elections 2017 that are scheduled to take place on 5 August 2017.
The announcement of Naidu's candidature was made by BJP leader Amit Shah after BJP’s Parliamentary Party meeting headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Naidu is pitted against Gopalkrishna Gandhi, who was chosen by an alliance of 18 opposition parties, including Congress.
Political Journey of M Venkaiah Naidu
• Venkaiah Naidu is currently serving as the Union Minister of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting in the BJP led government.
• Born in 1949 in Andhra Pradesh, he is one of the most senior members of the cabinet and has a keen interest in farmer issues and development of backward areas.
• With a bachelor degree in politics as well as law, Naidu became a member of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh at a very young age.
• He joined ABVP in 1973 as a student leader.
• He was later elected as the student president of the Andhra University Colleges.
• During the Jai Andhra movement in 1972, Naidu emerged as a leader, taking charge of the agitation in Nellore.
• He also participated in the movement against the emergency in 1975 for which he was imprisoned.
• Naidu became the President of the Youth Wing of Janata Party in Andhra Pradesh in 1977.
• Naidu was later elected as an MLA to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly for two consecutive times.
• He was also the President of Andhra Pradesh State Unit of BJP from 1988 to 1993.
• In April 1988, he was elected as the Member of Rajya Sabha from Karnataka.
• Naidu rose to ranks by becoming the General Secretary of All India BJP from 1993 to September 2000.
• In the Parliament, he was a member of committees that covered subjects like home affairs, agriculture, finance, rural development, external affairs.
• In 1999, under the Atal Bihari Vajpayee cabinet, Naidu was elected as the Union Cabinet Minister for Rural Development.
• Later, he became the National President of BJP in 2002.
• He was selected for a second term in 2004 but resigned after BJP’s loss in the 2004 general elections.
• He was re-elected to Rajya Sabha again from Karnataka in 2004 and 2010.
• In 2016, he was elected for the fourth term in Rajya Sabha from Rajasthan.
• Venkaiah Naidu is also well known for his oratory skills in the political circles. It was through him, that BJP was able successful to form an alliance with the Telugu Desam Party in Andhra Pradesh.
When: 17 July 2017
Parliament passes Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Second Amendment) Bill, 2018
Assam-NRC Draft can’t be basis of any action by any authority: SC
Government to soon introduce bill proposing death penalty for mob lynching
Ministry of Shipping issues new guidelines for improving treasury investment for Major Ports