Vivek Hallegere Murthy appointed as 19th Surgeon General of America
Vivek Hallegere Murthy was on 15 December 2014 appointed as the 19th Surgeon General of America. He will be the first Indian-American to hold the post.
Indian-American physician Vivek Hallegere Murthy was on 15 December 2014 appointed as the 19th Surgeon General of America. His appointment was confirmed by the United States (US) Senate as he won 51 votes to 43 votes.
As surgeon general, Murthy will serve as the US top spokesperson on public health issues. He will be the youngest and the first Indian-American to hold the post.
The post of Surgeon General of America was vacant since 2013. Boris Lushniak was the acting Surgeon General of America since July 2013.
US President Barack Obama in November 2013 had nominated Vivek Hallegere Murthy to this top administration post on public health issues.
Murthy’s nomination received broad support from over 100 medical and public health organizations in the US.
Vivek Hallegere Murthy
• Murthy is a Hospitalist Attending Physician and Instructor in Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital at Harvard Medical School since 2006.
• He co-founded VISIONS Worldwide in 1995, a non-profit organisation focused on HIV/AIDS education in India and the United States.
• Murthy has been the Co-Founder and Chairman of the Board of TrialNetworks, a cloud-based Clinical Trial Optimization System since 2007.
• He is also the co-founder and president of Doctors for America organization since 2009.
• In 2011, he was appointed as a Member of the Advisory Group on Prevention, Health Promotion, and Integrative and Public Health.