Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 10 September to 16 September 2018
The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like PM Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan, UN report on hunger and Tejas aircraft among others.
10 September to 16 September 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like PM Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan, UN report on hunger and Tejas aircraft among others.
1. The Union Cabinet has approved which new umbrella scheme to benefit the farmers?
2. Which app was launched by Indian Railways to provide a platform for the Corporates and PSUs to contribute to creation of amenities at or near Railway Stations?
a) Rail Yatri
b) Rail Sahyog
c) Rail Suraksha
d) Rail Saathi
3. Which Indian airport is set to become first in Asia to use face recognition as boarding pass?
a) Kempegowda International Airport
b) Indira Gandhi International Airport
c) Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport
d) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport
4. Bogibeel, India’s longest rail-cum-road bridge, will be built over which river?
5. Which country will host to the 2018 Global Summit on Climate Action?
c) United Kingdom
d) United States
6. Which among the following boxers, who won gold in the 18th Asian Games, has been nominated for the 2018 Arjuna awards?
a) Amit Panghal
b) Vikas Krishnan
c) Shiva Thapa
d) Gaurav Solanki
7. India’s light combat aircraft successfully completed its first-ever mid-air refuelling trial recently. What is the aircraft called?
8. Who will head the panel of secretaries to look into the issues raised on draft e-commerce policy?
a) Bimal Jalan
b) Sushil Modi
c) Ramesh Abhishek
d) Suresh Prabhu
9. As per UN report on ‘state of food security and nutrition in the world’, which region is worst affected by hunger and undernutrition?
a) Latin America
b) Middle East
10. Who has created history by becoming first Indian to win a medal in IAAF Continental Cup?
a) Arpinder Singh
b) Neeraj Chopra
c) Hima Das
d) Swapna Barman
11. Which e-commerce giant’s founder and executive chairman is going to step down in September 2019?
12. The joint military exercise ‘Nomadic Elephant – 2018’ is being held between which two countries?
a) India and Mongolia
b) China and Nepal
c) India and Sri Lanka
d) India and Bangladesh
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) PM-AASHA
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved a new umbrella scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay SanraksHan Abhiyan’ (PM-AASHA). The scheme aims to ensure that farmers get remunerative prices for their produce as announced in the Union Budget for 2018.
2. (b) Rail Sahyog
Railways Minister Piyush Goyal on September 11, 2018 launched the 'Rail Sahyog' web portal to provide a platform for the Corporates and Public Sector Units (PSUs) to contribute to creation of amenities at or near Railway Stations through Corporate Social Responsibility funds.
3. (a) Kempegowda International Airport
The Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) in Bengaluru is set to become the first airport in Asia to use face recognition as the boarding procedure for passengers to board flights and move across different sections of the airport.
4. (b) Brahmaputra
The Bogibeel Bridge is a combined road and rail bridge over the Brahmaputra River in Assam, which is expected to complete at the end of 2018. The 4.94 km bridge will facilitate road and rail connectivity between the north and south banks of the Brahmaputra in the eastern part of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
5. (d) United States
The 2018 Global Summit on Climate Action will be held at San Francisco in California, United States from September 12 to 14, 2018. The summit is a platform that brings together several decision makers and officials, as well as people, from around the world to discuss proposals for future action on climate change.
6. (a) Amit Panghal
Asian Games gold medal-winning Indian boxer Amit Panghal was on September 11, 2018 nominated for this year's Arjuna awards by the Boxing Federation of India. He joined Sonia Lather and Gaurav Bidhuri in the list of boxing nominees for the second highest sporting honour after the Khel Ratna.
7. (c) Tejas
In a first, Tejas, the advanced version of India’s indigenously produced Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) was successfully refuelled mid-air by a Russian-origin Ilyushin-78 tanker. The mid-air refuelling was a part of a ‘wet contact’ trial for LCA Tejas MK-1.
8. (c) Ramesh Abhishek
Union Government constituted a group of secretaries to look into the issues raised on some proposals of the draft e-commerce policy. The group will be chaired by Ramesh Abhishek, the secretary in the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
9. (c) Africa
According to latest UN report, the share of undernourished people in the world population, the prevalence of undernourishment (PoU), is estimated to have reached 10.9 percent in 2017. Africa remains the continent with the highest prevalence of undernourishment, affecting almost 21 percent of the population (more than 256 million people).
10. (a) Arpinder Singh
Triple jumper Arpinder Singh created history on September 8, 2018 by becoming the first Indian to win a medal in the IAAF Continental Cup at Ostrava in Czech Republic. The 25-year-old won bronze while he was representing the Asia-Pacific team in the meet, which is held once every four years.
11. (b) Alibaba
Alibaba’s Jack Ma has announced that he would be stepping down as the head of the Chinese e-commerce giant in September 2019. He named the company CEO Daniel Zhang as his successor and said that he will work closely with him for the next 12 months to ensure a smooth transition of the chairmanship.
12. (a) India and Mongolia
The joint military exercise between Indian and Mongolian armies, the Nomadic Elephant - 2018, began on September 11, 2018 in Mongolia. The Nomadic Elephant is an annual, bilateral exercise designed to strengthen the partnership between Indian and Mongolian Armed Force.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week