23 January to 29 January 2017: The Weekly Current Affairs Quizzes brought by Jagranjosh.com covers the most important happenings of the week. The weekly updates will help you in revising the most important events of the particular week with an ease for the next competitive exams that will be faced by you. This week's updated quizzes cover the topics like Wimbeldon, Most Corruption-free country in the world and human-pig hybrid embryo among others.
1. India recently contributed how much amount to the United Nations for Haiti cholera relief?
a) USD 50k
b) USD 98k
c) USD 110k
d) USD 100k
2. As per a Union Cabinet’s decision, which of these institutes would be declared as Institutions of National Importance?
a) Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)
b) Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
c) National Institutes of Technology (NITs)
d) Both IIMs and NITs
3. The Draft National Steel Policy 2017 was released to replace the
a) National Steel Policy 2002
b) National Steel Policy 2003
c) National Steel Policy 2004
d) National Steel Policy 2005
4. When is the National Girl Child Day celebrated in India?
a) 22 January
b) 23 January
c) 24 January
d) 25 January
5. Which country launched the Aoba Velox-III satellite into orbit from the International Space Station (ISS)?
a) United States
d) South Korea
6. The 2017 Pakke-Paga Festival was held in which state?
a) Arunachal Pradesh
b) Uttar Pradesh
c) Himachal Pradesh
d) Andhra Pradesh
7. What is the theme of the 7th National Voters’ Day that was observed recently?
a) Inclusive and Qualitative Participation
b) Empowering Young and Future Voters
c) Belief in the Ballot
d) None of the above
8. Who of the following was confirmed as the new Ambassador of the United States to the United Nations?
a) Nikki Haley
b) Bobby Jindal
c) Samantha Power
d) None of them
9. What is the range of the surface-to-surface missile Ababeel, which was recently flight tested by Pakistan's military?
a) 3000 km
b) 2100 km
c) 2400 km
d) 2200 km
10. Kambala festival, a Buffalo Race, is celebrated annually in which of the following states?
b) Tamil Nadu
11. This State Government announced Rs 100 crore fund for Fin Tech start-ups.
d) Andhra Pradesh
12. Who among the following didn’t figure in the 2017 Padma Vibushan Awardees list?
a) K J Yesudas
b) Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev
c) Sharad Pawar
d) L K Advani
13. Which country was declared as the most corruption-free nation by the Corruption Perceptions Index 2016?
c) The Netherlands
14. The 2017 Australian Tennis Open Women’s Singles title was won by
a) Venus Williams
b) Serena Williams
c) Victoria Azarenka
d) Maria Sharapova
15. It is in this country the first human-pig hybrid embryo was created in the lab.
a) The USA
b) The UK
ANSWERS WITH EXPLANATION
1. (d) USD 100k
India has contributed $100000 to a UN fund to help Haiti recover from the ravages of a 2010 cholera epidemic that claimed more than 10000 lives.
2. (a ) Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs)
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Indian Institute of Management(IIM) Bill, 2017, under which the IIMs would be declared as Institutions of National Importance.
3. (d) National Steel Policy 2005
Union Ministry of Steel on 20 January 2017 released the Draft National Steel Policy 2017 in New Delhi. The policy seeks to steer the steel industry to achieve its full potential with a focus on high end value added steel. After the government’s approval, the policy will replace the National Steel Policy 2005.
4. (c) 24 January
The National Girl Child Day is celebrated every year on January 24 in India to raise the awareness among people about all the inequalities faced by the girl child in the society.
5. (b) Singapore
The satellite Aoba Velox-III is a joint project between Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and Japan’s Kyushu Institute of Technology (Kyutech). It is a 110-metre habitable human-made satellite that orbits the Earth and can stay in space for 6 months.
6. (a) Arunachal Pradesh
The 2nd edition of the Pakke-Paga Festival-2017 was held at Seijosa in East Kameng District of Arunachal Pradesh and was inaugurated by the Union minister of state for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju.
7. (b) Empowering Young and Future Voters
The 7th National Voters’ Day (NVD) was observed across the country on 25 January 2017 by the Election Commission of India. The theme for the 7th National Voters’ Day is ‘Empowering Young and Future Voters.’
8. (a) Nikki Haley
The United States Senate on 14 January 2017 confirmed Nikki Haley as the next Ambassador to the United Nations (UN). With this, she will become the first Indian-American to serve on a Cabinet rank position in any presidential administration.
9. (d) 2200 km
Pakistan Military successfully test-fired the long range surface-to-surface missile Ababeel. The missile with 2200 km range was flight tested for the first time.
10. (c) Karnataka
Kambala is an annual Buffalo Race held traditionally under the auspices local land lords and households in Karnataka.
11. (d) Andhra Pradesh
The Government of Andhra Pradesh in January 2017 announced a Rs 100 crore fund of funds to boost start-ups in the financial technology sector.
12. (d) L K Advani
K J Yesudas, Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, Sharad Pawar, Murli Manohar Joshi, Prof. Udipi Ramachandra Rao, Late Sunder Lal Patwa (Posthumous) and Late PA Sangma (Posthumous) are the seven winners of the prestigious Padma Vibushan awards for 2017. L K Advani conferred the award in 2015.
13. (a) Denmark
Transparency International on 25 January 2017 released the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2016. While Denmark was adjudged as the most corruption-free country among the surveyed countries, Somalia in Sub Saharan African Region was placed at the bottom of the CPI.
14. (b) Serena Williams
In Australian Open tennis, Serena Williams beat her sister Venus Williams in the final held on 28 January 2017. For Serena, it was her 23rd Grand Slam singles title.
15. (a) The USA
For the first time, researchers in the USA have successfully grown human cells inside early-stage pig embryos in the lab, creating pig-human hybrids.