15 June: World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day was observed globally on 15 June 2016. The day is observed to voice against abuse and suffering inflicted on older people.
On this day, number of events is held across the globe to raise awareness of elder abuse and highlight ways to challenge such abuse.
About Global Elder Population
The global population of people aged 60-year and older will more than double, from 542 million in 1995 to about 1.2 billion in 2025.
Elder abuse can be defined as a single, or repeated act, or lack of appropriate action, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust which causes harm or distress to an older person.
At present, elder abuse is a global social issue, which affects the health and human rights of millions of older persons around the world. It can be termed as a violation of older people’s human rights and is an issue which deserves the attention of the international community.
Around 4 to 6% of elderly people have experienced some form of maltreatment at home. Elder maltreatment can lead to serious physical injuries and long-term psychological consequences.
• It can take various forms such as physical, psychological or emotional, sexual and financial abuse.
• It can also be the result of intentional or unintentional neglect.
• Elder abuse is a problem that exists in both developing and developed countries yet is typically underreported globally.
• The incidence of abuse towards older people is predicted to increase as many countries are experiencing rapidly ageing populations.
• Prevalence rates or estimates exist only in selected developed countries — ranging from 1% to 10%.
United Nations Resolution on World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) via its resolution 66/127, designated June 15 as World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD). The resolution was adopted by the General Assembly on 19 December 2011.
The day represents the one day in the year when the whole world voices its opposition to the abuse and suffering inflicted to some of our older generations.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 15 June 2016