World Kidney Day (WKD) was observed globally on 12 March 2015. The theme for the year 2015 is Kidney Health for All.
The day is a global health awareness campaign that focuses on the importance of the kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.
World Kidney Day
The World Kidney Day is annually observed on the second Thursday in March. It is a joint initiative of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF).
World Kidney Day started in 2006. Themes of the day since its start includes
• 2015 Kidney Health for All
• 2014 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and aging
• 2013 Kidneys for Life – Stop Kidney Attack!
• 2012 Donate – Kidneys for Life – Receive
• 2011 Protect your kidneys: Save your heart
• 2010 Protect your kidneys: Control diabetes
• 2009 Protect your kidneys: Keep your pressure down
• 2008 Your amazing kidneys!
• 2007 CKD: Common, harmful and treatable
• 2006 Are your kidneys OK?
The International Society of Nephrology (ISN)
The International Society of Nephrology (ISN) is a not-for-profit society dedicated to advancing the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of kidney diseases in 126 countries. The Society celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2010.
The International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF)
The IFKF, a not-for-profit federation founded in 1999 and currently has a membership of 63 kidney foundations and patient groups in 41 countries. IFKF advocates worldwide improving the health, well-being and quality of life of individuals with kidney disease.
When: 12 March 2015