Union Minister of Power Piyush Goyal on 9 January 2017 dedicated the Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) of the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) to the nation. The SLNP of SDMC is the world’s largest street light replacement programme.
On this occasion, the minister also launched the EESL SL Compliant App for SDMC to address grievances regarding faulty street lights. Using this app, citizens can lodge complaints about faulty street lights. These complaints will be addressed to within a period of 48 hours.
About SLNP of South Delhi Municipal Corporation
• Under the Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP), SDMC area alone accounts for over 2 lakh street light replacements.
• The cumulative annual energy savings in SDMC through this programme is 2.65 crore kWh.
• This helps in avoiding capacity addition of 6.6 MW, which in turn results in a daily reduction of 22,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases.
• Under Phase II of the SLNP, EESL has signed a tripartite agreement with BSES and SDMC to install 75,000 more street lights with more focus on installation in parks.
• In the SDMC Project, EESL is addressing complaints from various sources like night patrolling team by EESL, mobile vans, e-mails, social media and ward councilors.
• EESL is also putting stringent complaint redressal mechanism and Centralized Control and Monitoring System (CCMS) to enable remote operation and monitoring of the street lights.
• CCMS provides real-time information on energy consumption and remote monitoring of the street lights.
About Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP)
• The SLNP programme is presently running in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
• A total of 15.36 lakh street lights have already been replaced in the country with light emitting diodes (LED) bulbs.
• The programme is resulting in energy savings of 20.35 crore kWh, avoiding capacity of 50.71 MW.
• The SLNP also helps in protecting the environment by reducing 1.68 lakh tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per annum.
Where: New Delhi
What: Dedicated to the nation
When: 9 January 2017