Know Civil Honors & Awards in India
Award is recognition of excellence achieved by an individual or a group of people for their marvelous job in a particular field. Award is given in the form of a,title,certificate, trophy etc. Generally, awards are given by an organization or a government body.
Highest civilian award in India is Bharat Ratna which is followed by Padma Vibhushan, Padma bhushan and Padma Shri in the last.
These Honors are conferred under various categories which are classified as:
This is the highest Civilian Award in India which can be conferred to any person without the distinction of Race, Religion, Occupation or Sex. Recipients receive a Sanad (certificate) signed by the President and a peepal-leaf–shaped medallion. There is no monetary grant (money) associated with the award.
The recipient/s of Bharat Ratna cannot use the award as a prefix or suffix to their name, although recipient/s may use either the expressions "Awarded Bharat Ratna by the President" or "Recipient of Bharat Ratna Award" to indicate that they have been honored with the award. The recipient/s of this Award rank 7th in the “Order of Precedence” (Hierarchy of important positions notified by the Government of India).
Important Facts about Bharat Ratna Award
1. It is instituted in 1954.
2. This award was originally limited to achievements in the arts, literature, science, and public services, but the government expanded the criteria to include "any field of human Endeavour" in 2011.
3. The recommendations for the Bharat Ratna are made by the Prime Minister to the President, with a maximum of three nominees being awarded per year.
4. Madan Mohan Malaviya, Atal Bihari Vajpayee are the latest recipient of Bharat Ratna 2015.
Padma Awards are given for distinguished and exceptional achievements/service in all fields of activities/disciplines, such as Art, Literature and Education, Sports, Medicine, Social Work, Science and Engineering, Public Affairs, Civil Service, Trade and Industry etc. Normally, Padma Awards are not conferred posthumously.
1. Padma Vibhushan is the 2nd highest civilian award & is conferred “for exceptional and distinguished service” in any field including government service.
2. Padma Bhushan is the 3rd highest Civilian Honour in India & is awarded “for distinguished service of a high order” in any field. So far 1229 people have received this prestigious award.
3. Padma Shri is the 4th highest Civilian Award in India & is awarded “for distinguished service” in any field. So far 2679 people have received the award.
Image sources: googleimages.com