The 11th Schedule of Indian Constitution was added in 1992 by the 73rd Constitution Amendment Act. This schedule contains 29 subjects. This schedule covers important topics such as Panchayat's powers, rural development, poverty alleviation, market, roads and drinking water etc.
Eleventh schedule of Indian Constitution contains the following functional items placed within the purview of the Panchyats:
1. Agriculture including agricultural expansion
2. Land improvement, implementation of land reforms, land consolidation and soil conservation.
3. Animal Husbandry, Dairying and poultry
4. Fisheries Industry
5. Minor irrigation, water management and watershed development
6. Social forestry and farm forestry
7. Small scale industries in which food processing industry is involved
8. Minor forest produce
9. Safe water for drinking
10. Khadi, village and cottage industries
11. Rural housing
12. Fuel and fodder
13. Rural electrification, including distribution of electricity
14. Road, culverts, bridges, ferries, waterways and other means of communication
15. Education including primary and secondary schools
16. Non-conventional sources of energy
17. Technical training and vocational education
18. Adult and non-formal education
19. Public distribution system
20. Maintenance of community assets
21. Welfare of the weaker sections of the in particular of the schedule caste and schedule tribes
22. Social welfare, including welfare of the handicapped and mentally retarded
23. Family welfare
24. Women and child development
25. Markets and Fairs
26. Health and sanitation including hospitals, primary health centres and dispensaries
27. Cultural activities
29. Poverty Alleviation Programmes
It is expected that the subjects covered under the eleventh schedule of the indian constitution are made to ensure the development of the rural India.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.