Mamata Banerjee, a veteran Indian politician, is eighth Chief Minister of West Bengal. Mamata Banarjee is the 1st lady to hold the office of Chief Minister in West Bengal. She was born on January 5, 1955 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
Mamata banerjee was born in a Bengali family. Her father’s name was Shri Promileswar Banerjee & her mother’s name was Smt. Gayatri Devi. Her father died when she was 9 years of age. Mamata Banerjee is a spinster.
Mamata Banerjee completed her graduation in History honours subject from Jogomaya Devi College, Kolkata. She did her master’s in Islamic History from Calcutta University. She attained a degree in Education from Shri Shikshayatan College, Kolkata and law degree from Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College, Kolkata. She joined Congress (I) Party & served in diverse posts both within the party & in other political groups.
1976 – 1980: Mamata Banejee was the General Secretary of Mahila Congress (I) in West Bengal
1978 – 1981: Mamata Banerjee was the Secretary of District Congress Committee of Calcutta South
1984: Mamata Banerjee was elected as the member of 8th Lok Sabha.
1985 – 1987: Mamata Banerjee was the Member of Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
1987 – 1988: Mamata Banerjee was the Member of:
• Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Human Resource Development
• National Council of All India Youth Congress (I)
• Consultative Committee on Ministry of Home Affairs
1988: Mamata Banerjee was the Executive Committee Member of Congress Parliamentary Party
1989: Mamata Banerjee was the Executive Committee Member of Pradesh Congress Committee
1990: Mamata Banerjee was the Youth Congress President of West Bengal
1991: Mamata Banerjee was elected as the member of the tenth Lok Sabha
1991 – 1993: Mamata Banerjee was the Union Minister of State
1993 – 1996: Mamata Banerjee was the Member of Committee on Home Affairs
1995 – 1996: Mamata Banerjee was the:
• Member of Committee on Public Accounts
• Consultative Committee Member of the Ministry of Home Affairs
1996: Mamata Banerjee was elected as the member of eleventh Lok Sabha
1996 – 1997: Mamata Banerjee was the Member of:
• Consultative Committee of the Ministry of Home Affairs
• Committee on Home Affairs
1997: Mamata Banerjee founded the All India Trinamool Congress & became its Chairperson.
1998: Mamata Banerjee was re - elected as a member of twelth Lok Sabha
1998 – 1999: Mamata Banerjee was the:
1999: Mamata Banerjee was:
Oct 1999 - Mar 2001: Mamata Banerjee was the Union Cabinet Minister of Railways
2001 – 2003: Mamata Banerjee was the Consultative Committee Member of Ministry of Industries
9 Jan 2004 - May 2004: Mamata Banerjee served as Union Cabinet Minister of Coal and Mines
2004: Mamata Banerjee was elected as the member of fourteenth Lok Sabha for the 6th time.
2006: Mamata Banerjee was made the Member of Home Affairs Committee
2009: Mamata Banerjee was elected as the member of fifteenth Lok Sabha
31 May 2009 - 19 July 2011: Mamata Banerjee was:
Oct 2011: Mamata Banerjee resigned as the member of fifteenth Lok Sabha
May 2011: Mamata Banerjee became the 1st woman Chief Minister of West Bengal
• Mamata Banerjee effectively formed a new party after untying from Congress in the year 1997.
• In the year 2002, when Mamata Banerjee was Railway Minister, she introduced new trains, few express train services, augmented frequency of trains, aimed at mounting tourism & also planned the IRCTC.
• Mamata Banerjee energetically protested on October 20, 2005 against forcible land acquirement of farmers 7 agriculturists for industrialization in West Bengal
Books and documentaries
Books by Mamata Banerjee in Bengali language:
• Janatar Darbare
• Maa – Mati - Manush
• Ashubho Shanket
• Jago Banglaa
• Andolaner Katha
• Ganotantre Lajja
Books by Mamata Banerjee in English language
• Slaughter of Democracy
• Dark Horizon
• Struggle for Existence