In India, security is provided to the dignitaries by the police and the local government. The decision to provide VIP security to a political leader or a specific person depends upon the level of threat perception. After the assessment of danger by intelligence departments, it is decided what kind of security category will be provided to the person. The security system in India is divided into four categories: Z + (highest level), Z, Y and X. According to the threat perception high category security is provided to the Prime Minister, the President, Chief Ministers, Union Ministers, MPs, MLAs, bureaucrats, former bureaucrats, judges, former judges, businessmans, cricketers, film stars, saints at times even common person.
How security is entitled to the VIPs?
If there is any threat perception to VIPs then it is the responsibility of the government to provide security. A person facing a threat files an application at the police station nearest to his/her residence. Then, the case is forwarded to the intelligence agencies to find out the threat posed to the person.
When the threat is confirmed, a committee comprising the Home Secretary, Director General and the Chief Secretary in the state decides which category of security is to be given to that person. After this, the details of the person are also given to the Union Home Ministry for formal approval.
Which agencies are responsible for VIPs security?
Different agencies are responsible for providing different categories of security to VIPs like SPG (Special Protection Group), NSG (National Security Guards), ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police) and CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force. The security of 'Z +' category is provided to highly specialized individuals / leaders / players and film stars. NSG extends the 'Z Plus' category security to VIPs and VVIPs on a large scale. Many NSG commandos protect the Prime Minister under the Special Protection Group (SPG) also.
NSG is the nation's most advanced security force which provides protection to the individual with high threat perception. But the number of people seeking Z-plus category security is increasing since the past several years; owing to this CISF personnel have also been roped in to reduce the burden of NSG. Currently, only 12-17 people are being provided the facility of Z Plus category security by NSG. It can be said that the taskVVIPs security on CISF is increasing day by day. Therefore, a special security group is constituted and also a special training centre is established in Devli area of Rajasthan to train security personnel who can protect the VIPs.
After understanding the procedure let’s see how it works?
Do you know that if a person is entitled to Z+ category security, then he or she will get security all over the country? There is a mechanism for this. As mentioned above, the security agencies NSG or CISF is deployed in the Z+ category security, but when a person goes out of the state then only few commandos go with that person rest is the responsibility of that particular state to provide security. But for this, VIP has to give prior information about the tour to the state. Such type of security arrangements are never exposed.
What is in the briefcase of India's PM Bodyguards
Now, let us understand the different categories of Security
1. Z+ category Security
- Z+ is the highest category security in India.
- It offers a security cover of 55 personnel, including 10+ NSG Commandos + Police Personnel.
- Each commando is an expert in martial arts and unarmed combat.
- Z+ security is provided by the NSG commandos equipped with sophisticated MP5 guns, and modern communication gadgets.
- Only 12-17 VIPs in the country are provided the Z+ security. This includes PM Narendra Modi, BJP President Amit Shah, UP CM Yogi Adityanath, Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and few others.
2. Z category Security
- This is the second level of security.
- Z category provides a security cover of 22 personnel, including 4 or 5 NSG Commandos + Police Personnel.
- It is provided by the Delhi police or the ITBP or CRPF personnel along with one escort car.
- Z security is provided to Yoga Guru Ramdev and many actors including Aamir Khan.
3. Y category Security
- This is the third level of security.
- Y category has a security cover of 11 personnel, including 1 or 2 Commandos + Police Personnel.
- It offers two personal security officers (PSOs).
- There are a considerable number of people who get this category of protection in India.
4. X category Security
- This is the fourth level of security.
- X category has a security cover of 2 personnel (No Commando, Only Armed Police Personnel).
- It is provided by one PSO (personal security officer). Again, a considerable number of people get this category of protection in India.
On the other hand Special Protection Group (SPG) security is provided to the Prime Minister, former Prime Minister and members of their immediate families. In fact, many NSG personnel are seconded to the Special Protection Group (SPG) which guards the Prime Minister. But through some special legal provisions, this facility has also been provided to Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her family members.
So those were the various categories under which security cover is provided in India.