In normal terms we may define Operations Management as the process of managing all the resources and raw materials in a firm for the purpose of production and thereby meeting the purpose of both the firm as well as the intended clients and customers.
Technically, it’s the advancement of all the business practices to create the optimum level of efficiency and productivity achievable within the firm.
Attributes of an Operations Manager:
• He/she has to oversee the production of goods and service providing.
• His/her aim is to ensure that the firm`s operations are running smoothly, effectively and efficiently.
• Should have in-depth knowledge of the process of operations in the desired field of work.
• Must be possessed with strong leadership qualities.
• Must be analytical and an excellent problem resolver.
• MOST IMPORTANT: Always be ready to cope up with the changing trends that occur too often in today’s materialistic and fast growing market.
Pursuing Operations Management as a career:
One can pursue the career in the field of Operations Management by opting for MBA or P.G.D.M from Operations Management as a specialization.
Current Market scenario:
It’s a lucrative career option for those who aspire to become an Operation Manager. The career options are widely spread as in various fields and dimensions like:
• Construction and consulting firm
• Logistics and supply chain management
• Insurance sector
• Health services
• Financial advisory firms
Available work areas:
There can be a handy and well structured working profile and post for the aspirants besides being an Operations Manager. They may turn out to be:
• Customer service support
• Distribution Manager
• Supply chain manager
• Forecasting manager
• Inventory planner
• Purchasing and materials manager
• Project manager
• Process manager
• Plant engineering manager
• Warehouse manager etc.
Even graduates from the commerce stream may also go for the entry level jobs in Operations Management at the early stages and after having a fair bit of experience can go for upper level jobs in the same field.
Colleges providing the courses of MBA/P.G.D.M in Operations Management:
1) KIIT School of Management, Bhubhaneshwar
2) Institute for Future Education, Entrepreneurship and leadership.
3) Indira Global Business school, Pune.
4) IISWBM, Kolkata.
5) IIMS, Tumkur, Karnataka.
6) IIM, Calcutta
7) IIM, Ahemedabad
8) IIM, Lucknow
9) Symbiosis, Pune
And there are a few more good, fine and reputed institutions where one can take admission to shape up his/her career in Operations Management.
A fresher may start earning at around 1.8 – 2.4 LPA initially which will multiply eventually with time. Whereas an Operations Manager gets an annual gross salary of around 5.5 - 6.5 lakhs which may further increase depending upon the type of task and work done, meeting the set standard norms of the firm and finally performing effectively and efficiently.