1. Home
  2. |  
  3. Civil Services |  

IAS Preparation Questions for Prelims: 14 March 2018

Mar 14, 2018 14:48 IST
    IAS Preparation Questions for Prelims 14 March 2018
    IAS Preparation Questions for Prelims 14 March 2018

    In a view to the need of IAS Exam aspirants, we are providing current affairs questions (MCQs) on a daily basis. The questions cover important issues in the fields of economy, national, India-World relations, science and technology, environment, etc. Answers along with detailed explanations of each and every question will help the aspirants in answering further questions on the given topic in all the phases of the exam – Preliminary, Mains written and Personality Test.

    IAS Prelims Exam Guide

    1. Recently, the Central Statistical Organisation (CSO) announced that the Index of Industrial Production (IIP) rose by 7.5% in January 2018 as compared to the index figure for January 2017. Against this backdrop, consider the following statements.
    1. At present, the base year of the IIP is 2011-12.
    2. IIP data are published on the weekly and monthly basis.
    3. The CSO is a part of the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.

    Which of the above statements is/are correct?
    a. 1 only
    b. 1 and 2 only
    c. 2 and 3 only
    d. 1 and 3 only

    Answer: a

    Explanation:

    IIP measures the quantum of changes in the industrial production in an economy and captures the general level of industrial activity in the country. It is compiled and published every month by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation. In May 2017, the base year of the IIP was revised from 2004-05 to 2011-12. The new base year was selected keeping in view the base year of other macroeconomic indicators, namely, Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and Consumer Price Index (CPI).

     

    2. Consider the following statements related to Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) that was in the news recently:
    1. It is a professional body under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
    2. Its primary mandate is to implement the National Intellectual Rights Policy 2016.

    Which of the above statements is/are correct?
    a. 1 only
    b. 2 only
    c. Both 1 and 2
    d. Neither 1 nor 2

    Answer: c

    Explanation:

    In March 2018, the Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) was in the news as it organised the National Conference on Counterfeiting and Role of Enforcement Agencies in New Delhi.

    The objective of the conference was to provide a common platform for national and international experts to have dialogue and exchange best practices for benefit of enforcement agencies and industry representatives.

    About CIPAM

    CIPAM is a professional body under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion of the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. It has been created to take forward the implementation of the National IPR Policy that was approved by the Union Government in May 2016, with the slogan – “Creative India; Innovative India: रचनात्मक भारत; अभिनव भारत”

    CIPAM is working towards creating public awareness about intellectual property rights (IPRs) in the country, promoting the filing of IPRs through facilitation, providing inventors with a platform to commercialize their IP assets and coordinating the implementation of the National IPR Policy in collaboration with government ministries and departments and other stakeholders.

    The Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill 2018

    3. Recently, the Prime Minister of India has launched a campaign to eradicate tuberculosis (TB) from India by 2025. Consider the following statements regarding this:
    1. The campaign was launched after the inauguration of the Delhi End TB Summit, which is being co-hosted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, WHO South East Asia Regional Office (SEARO) and Stop TB Partnership.
    2. The TB free India Campaign will take the activities under the National Strategic Plan for TB elimination forward in a mission mode.
    3. The new NSP will adopt a multi-pronged approach that aims to detect all TB patients with an emphasis on reaching TB patients seeking care from private providers and undiagnosed TB in high-risk populations.

    Which of the above statements is/are correct?
    a. 1 only
    b. 1 and 2
    c. 2 and 3
    d. 1, 2 and 3

    Answer: d

    Explanation:

    Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi on March 13, 2018, launched a campaign to eradicate tuberculosis (TB) from India by 2025, five years ahead of the globally-set deadline.

    The campaign was launched after the inauguration of the Delhi End TB Summit, which is being co-hosted by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, WHO South East Asia Regional Office (SEARO) and Stop TB Partnership.

    Key Highlights

    • The TB free India Campaign will take the activities under the National Strategic Plan for TB elimination forward in a mission mode.

    • The National Strategic Plan for TB elimination is backed by funding of over 12,000 crore rupees over the next three years to ensure every TB patient has access to quality diagnosis, treatment, and support.

    • The target for eradicating the terminal disease in India has been set for 2025, five years ahead of the global target of 2030.

    • The new NSP will adopt a multi-pronged approach that aims to detect all TB patients with an emphasis on reaching TB patients seeking care from private providers and undiagnosed TB in high-risk populations.

    • The Union Government has asked all the state governments to join this mission.

    Must watch Bollywood movies for IAS/IPS aspirants

    4. Recently, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has approved India’s membership application. Against this backdrop, consider the following statements:
    1. The EBRD was established in 1991 to support socialist economies of the Eastern Europe in their transition to market economies.
    2. Suma Chakrabarti, an Indian origin British civil servant, has been the President of the bank since 2012.

    Which of the above statements is/are correct?
    a. 1 only
    b. 2 only
    c. Both 1 and 2
    d. Neither 1 nor 2

    Answer: c

    Explanation:

    Recently, the Board of Governors of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) voted in favour of India’s membership application. With this, India is all set to become the 69th member of the EBRD after the completion of the necessary formalities.

    About European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD):

    The bank was established in 1991 to support the transition to market economies of socialist economies in Eastern Europe and the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR).It is owned by 64 countries, the European Union and the European Investment Bank. Its headquarters is located in London, the UK.
    Suma Chakrabarti, an Indian origin British civil servant, has been the President of the bank since 2012.

    IAS Exam 2018: All You Need Know

    5. Recently, the Government puts up National Rare Disease Policy in place; allocates Rs 100 crore towards genetic disorders. Consider the following statements regarding this:
    1. Under the policy, the Central government will contribute 60 percent towards spending on treatment, while state governments will have to bear the remaining 40 percent of the cost.
    2. The government’s effort to improve diagnosis and bring better treatment and care to patients is already in progress, building on existing capabilities.
    3. Approximately 7,000 rare diseases have been identified so far, with about 80 percent of these are genetic in origin and predominantly affect children.

    Which of the above statements is/are correct?
    a. 1 only
    b. 1 and 2
    c. 2 and 3
    d. 1, 2 and 3

    Answer: d

    Explanation:

    Rare diseases, which are often referred to as orphan diseases, are estimated to have impacted 72-96 million people in India. The Indian government has now put a National Rare Disease Policy in place and Rs 100 crore funds have been allocated towards genetic disorders.

    Under the policy, the Central government will contribute 60 percent towards spending on treatment, while state governments will have to bear the remaining 40 percent of the cost. The government’s effort to improve diagnosis and bring better treatment and care to patients is already in progress, building on existing capabilities.

    Disorders such as Thalassemia, Hemophilia, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Fragile X, Inborn Errors of Metabolism, and Lysosomal Storage Disorders are just some frequently encountered genetic disorders, informed Dr. Ratna Dua Puri, Senior Consultant, Institute of Genetics and Genomics, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi.

    Must do things after the UPSC IAS Notification and Form Filing

    A day in office with IPS Officer!

    Latest Videos

    Register to get FREE updates

      All Fields Mandatory
    • (Ex:9123456789)
    • Please Select Your Interest
    • Please specify

    • ajax-loader
    • A verifcation code has been sent to
      your mobile number

      Please enter the verification code below

    This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK
    X

    Register to view Complete PDF