Today Indian cricketers are celebrities but hardly anyone knows hockey players. In our lives we enjoy doing stuff that pleases us and that makes us feel lively. Games and sports are one such stuff that helps in feeling relived and refreshed always.
Specially talking about our nation, people are just mad about cricket which is also considered as a religion over here. While players play cricket people love to watch, support and enjoy the same. But to our utter surprise cricket is not our national game/sport, rather our national sports is Hockey. Strange but true. People hardly prefer watching or playing hockey.
Now looking at this, it appears to be a very burning issue if National games be changed as per the popularity in India. Different people will speak and opine differently.
If we favor the topic and say that yes National games should be changed according to the increased popularity then that can be supported by the following facts:
1) Demand is fulfilled from supply: If there is an increased demand of cricket in the entire nation than any other sports then the basic demand accounts for making cricket as the national game.
2) National game is hardly known to anyone: Our national game hockey hardly interests anybody. So, there is no point dragging it to be our national game and it’s better to change it to cricket which people love and like passionately.
3) Weakness of the current National Game: Hockey- The national game of India has the biggest weakness of not attracting the youngsters towards itself neither does it create any spark of joy and contentment in them so such sports are never supposed to be the National game of our nation.
Looking at the issue the other way round we may also disagree and say that the national games shouldn’t be changed due to increasing popularity of other games due to te following reasons:
1. Negative impact on hockey players: If the national games would be changed according to the popularity of other games than it would straightaway hamper the growth, development and morale of the game of hockey. There would be a negative impact on the game.
2. What if cricket looses its popularity in future? : If we change and make cricket as the national game of our nation today and after a couple of years if cricket looses it’s popularity and fame then we will have to look for some other game. This can’t be done like this way. Whatever is the national game it should be the same unaltered. In fact the Government should ask ministry of sports to pay more attention to hockey in all respects.
3. Encouragement is required: There is a lot of support and encouragement required from the concerned authorities and departments for the development and progress of the less popular but still the national game of India i.e Hockey. Being encouraged it would be widely accepted and spread across the nations that would in turn result in the increased popularity of the game.
In nut-shell, replacing the national game by a popular game is a better option on one hand and a disturbing challenge on the face of growth and development. But if we look the other way round, anything that has been once in for all declared to be national becomes the identity in that particular field and hence it should remain unaltered. Rather we all must try and support for the upliftment of our undermined national game and bring it to a supreme level where India would excel and perform best in the game.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization. Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.