Storage is a media and methods, which is used to keep information available for later use.
Computer storage is of two types
- Primary Storage
- Secondary Storage
- It is the main memory of computer.
- It keeps track of current processing
- It is volatile, i.e., turning the power off erases all of the data.
- For main memory, computers use RAM or Random Access Memory.
- These memory chips are the fastest, but most expensive type of storage.
Main Memory = Primary Storage
- It is the auxiliary storage of computer.
- It keeps track of what is not currently being processed.
- It is the stuff that is ‘Filed away’, but is ready to be pulled out when needed.
- It is non-volatile, i.e., turning the power off does not erase the data.
- Auxiliary storage is used for input data and programs as well as saving the result of processing.
Auxiliary Storage = Secondary Storage