Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 3 January 2017 inaugurated the 104th Indian Science Congress (ISC) at Tarakarama Stadium of Sri Venkateswara University in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. The Congress will conclude on 7 January 2017.
It is the second time that Tirupati is hosting the Indian Science Congress. It first hosted the Science Congress in 1983.
Science and Technology for National Development is the focal theme of the 104th Indian Science Congress.
Key highlights of the 104th Indian Science Congress
- PM Narendra Modi addressed the gathering of eminent scientists including Nobel laureates.
- He felicitated Nobel laureates at the conclave with gold medals.
- He also inaugurated ‘Pride of India’ exhibition that coincided with the event.
About Indian Science Congress Association
- The Indian Science Congress Association is a premier scientific organisation of India.
- Its headquarters are located in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- It was started in the year 1914 in Kolkata.
- The association meets annually in the first week of January.
- More than 30000 scientists are the members of the association.
- The first meeting of the congress was held in January 1914 in the Asiatic Society, Calcutta (now Kolkata).
- The 103rd Indian Science Congress was held in Mysore with the theme Science and Technology for Indigenous Development in India.