The 10th South Asia Economic Summit (SAES) began in Kathmandu, Nepal on 14 November 2017 with the theme "Deepening Economic Integration for Inclusive and Sustainable Development in South Asia".
The three-day summit is being organised by National Planning Commission and Ministry of Commerce of Nepal and South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment (SAWTEE), Nepal. It was inaugurated by Nepal’s Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba.
The summit aims to identify and prioritise opportunities and challenges in deepening regional economic integration to serve the goals of inclusive and sustainable development in South Asia.
It is expected to witness participation from 200 dignitaries including ministers, member of parliaments, former MPs, ambassadors, government officials, researchers, eminent experts and thinkers.
About South Asia Economic Summit
• It was established in 2008, as a regional platform for discussing and analyzing economic and development issues and challenges faced by South Asian countries and advancing the cause of regional integration and cooperation.
• It is a premier regional platform for analysing trade, economic and development issues.
• The summit brings together stakeholders from the government, private sector, research/academic community and civil society to generate innovative and actionable ideas for consideration by the region’s policymakers and the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
• The whole process is led by a group of five eminent think tanks that take turns to organize the annual event in one of the SAARC countries.
• The think tanks include Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), Bangladesh; Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), India; South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment (SAWTEE), Nepal; Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), Pakistan and Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka (IPS), Sri Lanka.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.