The 48th annual meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) began on January 23, 2018 in Davos, Switzerland with the theme 'Creating a Shared Future in a Fractured World'.
WEF Founder and Executive Chairman Klaus Schwab declared the summit open amid the ski-resort receiving record snowfall. Schwab welcomed members from business, politics, academia and media as well as the first timers with a round of applause.
The summit would witness participation from over 3,000 world leaders, business patrons, academicians, philanthropists and politicians from across the world.
Pope Francis sent a special message on the occasion, calling upon all the participants to overcome fragmentation between states and institutions and work together to facilitate more inclusive approaches in an increasingly globalised world.
India at Davos
• The Indian contingent at the summit, which is led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is the largest ever with over 130 participants.
• While addressing a round-table of top CEOs at the summit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi narrated India's growth story and said that India means business and presents an exciting opportunity for the global businesses.
• The roundtable was attended by 40 CEOs of global companies and 20 from India.
Indian superstar Shah Rukh Khan was also among the attendees at the summit. The charismatic actor received the 24th Annual Crystal Awards honour at the summit for ‘his leadership in championing women and children’s rights in India’ through his non-profitable Meer Foundation.
The Chairperson and co-founder of Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, Hilde Schwab, conferred the award to the actor during the Crystal Award Ceremony on the eve of the 48th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum. English singer Sir Elton John and Australian actress Cate Blanchett were also honoured at the event.
About Meer Foundation
• Named after the actor’s father, the non-profit foundation provides support to female victims of acid attacks and major burn injuries through medical treatment, legal aid, vocational training, rehabilitation and livelihood support.
• The foundation envisions creating an empowered society.
• Its main objective is to enable, enhance and encourage - empower women by making them feel appreciated and inspired, and to foster humility, pride and gallantry among the men in their lives.
• It also aims achieve equality whilst celebrating the differences.
• Besides this, the actor has also been responsible for the creation of specialised children’s hospital wards and has supported several childcare centres with free boarding for children undergoing cancer treatment.