70th Himachal Day celebrated across Himachal Pradesh
Out of total 3226 panchayats, 3138 panchayats have been connected with motorable roads.
70th Himachal Day was celebrated across Himachal Pradesh (HP) on 15 April 2017. Himachal Pradesh came into existence by merging 30 odd princely states in 1948.
According to Transparency International Survey 2005, Himachal Pradesh was found to be the second least corrupt state in the country.
Development of Himachal Pradesh
• In 1948, Himachal Pradesh’s Per Capita Income was Rs 240 and its GDP was Rs 26 crore. However, presently, Per Capita Income and its GDP are Rs 147277 and Rs 124570 crore respectively.
• Literacy rate increased from 7 per cent in 1948 to 82.80 per cent in 2011.
• Out of total 3226 panchayats, 3138 panchayats have been connected with motorable roads.
• HP had electricity only in 6 villages when it was formed and only 331 villages had drinking water facility. But now, every village of Himachal Pradesh has piped electricity facility and water facility.
• There were hardly any schools and health institutions at the time of its formation. Now, HP has a government school within a radius of 3 km and health institutions on almost every corner.
• Himachal Pradesh’s 70 per cent population depends upon agriculture for their living. The World Bank has funded Rs 1134 crore for the Horticulture Development Project in the state which will help in increasing the production of good quality fruits.