Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman was on 26 October 2015 conferred with Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award in Mumbai. He won the award for his contribution to the Indian music.
Veteran filmmaker Subhash Ghai presented the fifth Hridaynath Mangeshkar Award to Rahman on the 78th birthday of Pandit Hridaynath Mangeshkar. Mangeskar was a well-known composer and the younger brother of Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle.
About Hridaynath Mangeskar Award
• It was instituted by Hridayesh Art, a Mumbai- based socio-cultural organisation in honour of music composer and singer Hridaynath Mangeskar.
• Hridaynath is the son of noted musician Deenanath Mangeshkar and younger brother of Indian music legends Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle.
• The annual award is given since 2011 in recognition of contributions to Indian music.
• Recipients of the earlier awards were-Lata Mangeshkar, Amitabh Bachchan, Sulochana Tai and Asha Bhosle.
• The first Hridaynath Award was given to Lata Mangeshkar.
• Allah-Rakha Rahman (AR Rahman) is an Indian composer, singer-songwriter, music producer, musician and philanthropist.
• His works are noted for integrating Eastern classical music with electronic music, world music and traditional orchestral arrangements.
• Rahman's body of work for film and stage has given him the nickname of the Mozart of Madras, and Tamil commentators and fans call him Isai Puyal (the Musical Storm).
• He is one of the world's all-time best-selling recording artists.
• Awards and honours conferred on Rahman includes
a) Two Academy Awards or Oscars
b) Two Grammy Awards
c) BAFTA Award
d) Golden Globe
e) Four National Film Awards
f) Fifteen Filmfare Awards
g) Thirteen Filmfare Awards South
h) In 2009, he was on the Times listing of the world's most influential people.
i) In August 2011, the UK-based world-music magazine Songlines named him one of "Tomorrow's World Music Icons
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 26 October 2015