Arundhati Bhattacharya Took Charge as the First Woman Chairperson of SBI
Arundhati Bhattacharya on 7 October 2013 took over as the Chairperson of SBI. She is the first woman to take charge as the Chairperson of SBI.
Arundhati Bhattacharya on 7 October 2013 took over as the Chairperson of the State Bank of India (SBI). She is the first woman to take charge as the Chairperson of SBI, the largest bank of India. She succeeded Pratip Chaudhuri who retired on 30 September 2013.
Major Highlights of Arundhati Bhattacharya’s Life
- Arundhati Bhattacharya is 57 years old and was born on 18 March 1956.
- Before being elevated to the post of Chairperson of SBI, she was the Managing Director and the Chief Financial Officer of SBI.
- She joined SBI as the probationary officer in 1977.
- She held various crucial positions during her tenure at the SBI. These positions included deputy managing director and corporate development officer, chief general manager (Bangalore Circle) and chief general manager (New Businesses).
- She was also the head of SBI Capital Markets Ltd, a subsidiary of State Bank of India.
- She is the first woman Chairperson of the State Bank of India, which has the long history of 206 years.
- She is also the first woman to lead a Fortune 500 company in India.
- Apart from this, she is the only woman banker on the list of Fortune 500 company giants anywhere in the world.
It is important to note that there are several other women who have made it to the top in domestic banking and financial services.
The list of women occupying major posts in domestic banking and financial services:
• Chanda Kochhar is the managing director & CEO of ICICI Bank,
• Shikha Sharma heads Axis Bank while Naina Lal Kidwai is the country head of HSBC India.
• Kalpana Morparia is the chief executive officer at JP Morgan India Pvt Ltd.
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has also had women occupying top posts.
• Shyamala Gopinath, K.J. Udeshi and Usha Thorat have all been deputy governors.
• Vijayalakshmi R. Iyer is the chairperson and managing director of Bank of India.
• Archana Bhargava is the chairperson & managing director of United Bank of India and S.A. Panse heads Allahabad Bank.