Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes on 27 November 2014 died after being into induced coma. He went into induced coma on 25 November 2014 after a bouncer ball of Sean Abbott hit back of his head during a Sheffield Game at Sydney Cricket Ground in Australia.
The ball struck just below his helmet when he attempted a pull shot in a Sheffield Shield match at the SCG. After New South Wales’ paceman Sean Abbott ball struck Hughes, he collapsed and hit the ground.
Hughes, 25, returned to the Australian Test side after an 18-month absence and was supposed to replace Michael Clarke, the injured Australia captain in the first Test next week against India.
About Phillip Hughes
• Hughes born 30 November 1988 is an Australian Test and One-Day International (ODI) cricketer. He had played 26 Tests and 25 ODIs for Australia
• He is a left-handed opening batsman who played for two seasons with New South Wales before making his Test debut in 2009 at the age of 20
• He plays domestic cricket for South Australia and Worcestershire
Indian cricketer who suffered such incidents
• Raman Lamba, an Indian cricketer died in 1998 while playing against Bangladesh after a ball stuck his head
• Indian captain Nari Contractor was struck by ball by Griffith of West Indies in 1960. He remained unconscious for six days and the incident ended his cricketing career
Some other Cricketers who have suffered such incidents
• Abdul Aziz of Pakistan (died) after struck over the heart by a slow off break from Dildwar Awan
• Burt of Australia was struck while playing a ball from England’s Harold Larwood in 1932-33. The ball cracked his head bones
• Rick McCosker of Australia, his jaw was broken in 1977 by a ball of Bob Willis of England
• Shivnarine Chandrapaul’s jaw was broken by Australian Brett lee in 2008
When: 27 November 2014
Why: due to head injury
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Eight-foot bronze statue of World War II Indian pilot Mohinder Singh Pujji unveiled in UK
PV Sindhu won 2014 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton Title
CERN scientists discovered two subatomic particles belonging to the family of baryon
Book titled Letters for a Nation written by Jawaharlal Nehru & Madhav Khosla