Beji Caid Essebsi on 31 December 2014 was sworn in as the President of Tunisia. He became the first freely elected leader of Tunisia since it gained independence from France in 1956.
Essebsi won the Presidential election with 55.68 percent against incumbent Moncef Marzouki, who had served as interim president of Tunisia since the Tunisian Revolution in 2011.
In October election 2014, his Nidaa Tounes party won the most seats and formed a coalition government in Tunisia. The interim Prime Minister Mehdi Jomaa remained as the Prime Minister of the new government.
Beji Caid Essebsi
• Essebsi was 88-year-old lawyer and politician, who studied law in Paris.
• He was a speaker of parliament under President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali.
• He served as foreign minister under Habib Bourguiba, first President of Tunisia after independence 1957.
• He served as Interim prime minister in 2011 after the Jasmine Revolution.
• He was founder of secular-leaning Nidaa Tounes party in 2014.