The first meeting of the BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency commenced on 4 July 2016 in Visakhapatnam. The meeting will be concluded on 5 July 2016.
The two-day meeting will be attended by all 5 members of BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries.
The Union Power Ministry is hosting the meeting of the Working Group.
India assumed the BRICS chair for 2016 and will accordingly shape and steer the BRICS agenda.
Agenda for BRICS Working Group Meeting on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency
• The BRICS countries will make presentations on measures taken by them in the field of energy saving and energy efficiency.
• India will showcase its efforts in energy saving, energy efficiency.
• India, in particular, will showcase the LED street lighting programme and Performance Achievement & Trade (PAT) programme for Industrial energy efficiency.
• The Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency will deliberate on a Work Plan on development of cooperation in energy saving and energy efficiency within BRICS.
• During the meeting, a Joint Statement will be agreed upon. The statement will be a guiding tool for the BRICS Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency.
• The BRICS energy Ministers signed a Memorandum of Mutual Understanding in Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency during the meeting of the BRICS Ministers of Energy held on 20 November 2015 in Moscow.
• By signing the Memorandum, they agreed to pursue their energy cooperation through joint research and technology projects, technology transfer, and conferences and so on.
• The Ministers also decided to create a Working Group on Energy Saving and Energy Efficiency to coordinate their cooperation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 4 July 2016
First International Conference on ‘Sustainable Water Management’ held in Mohali
UAE to double women’s representation in Federal National Council to 50 per cent
FAO Council approves India’s proposal to observe 2023 as International Year of Millets
Government notifies four commonly used medical devices as drugs