Union Cabinet on 5 July 2016 approved redevelopment of seven General Pool Residential Accommodation (GPRA) colonies in the national Capital, Delhi. The project will be completed in five years in a phased manner.
• Sarojini Nagar, Netaji Nagar and Nauroji Nagar will be redeveloped through National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited (NBCC).
• Kasturba Nagar, Thyagraj Nagar, Srinivaspuri and Mohammadpur will be developed through Central Public Works Department (CPWD).
This approval will help in replacing the existing housing stock of 12970 dwelling units of Type I to IV with Build Up Area (BUA) of approx. 7.49 lakh sq meter with approx. 25667 dwelling units of Type II to VI with BUA of approx. 29.18 lakh sq meter with supporting social infrastructure.
The project will also develop Government office accommodation for nearly 2.42 lakh sq meter at Netaji Nagar.
Costing for the Project
• The total estimated cost of the project is 32835 crore rupees.
• The cost includes maintenance and operation costs for 30 years.
• The project shall be implemented on self-financing basis by sale of commercial BUA in Nauroji Nagar and parts of Sarojini Nagar, adjoining the Ring Road.
The decision of redeveloping the General Pool Residential Accommodation colonies was taken in light of shortage of Government accommodation in the National Capital Region. This shortage leads to wait by the Government officials for eligible housing.
This shortage made the Union Ministry of Urban Development to move a proposal for redevelopment of existing old dilapidated housing colonies to augment the housing stock by making optimum utilization of land resources as per Master Plan Delhi (MPD) - 2021 and using modern construction technology with green building norms and in-house solid/liquid waste management facilities.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 5 July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.