CAPEEX: Cloud Aerosol Interaction and Precipitation Enhancement Experiment
CAIPEEX, a technique to understand the rain formation in clouds and the impact of Randomized Cloud Seeding, was in news in May 2016. The term CAIPEEX was used in Parliament by Minister of State for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, YS Chowdary.
In Lok Sabha on 4 May 2016, the minister informed that the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) is putting its effort in understanding the rain formation in clouds through this research program.
• Under this experiment, air borne observations are taken through randomized cloud seeding and the impact is recorded.
• The program uses a combination of radar, other ground based instruments and airborne platforms along with high resolution numerical modeling to plan and conduct the seeding experiment.
• The area for cloud seeding is determined based on convective potential.
• Aircraft observations have to be conducted before and after the seeding to determine the environmental conditions and the quantum of seeding material.
• These operations include detailed measurements of aerosols, cloud droplets, raindrops and ice particles, registering the growth of clouds before and after the seeding.
• The research data has been used to formulate ice nucleation scheme for inclusion of such processes in the forecast models.
He informed that artificial rain making techniques involving cloud seeding cannot be used for bringing rain clouds to rainfall deficit/drought areas. These techniques can only induce potential pre-existing clouds with adequate cloud droplets, to produce enhanced quantum of rain.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.