CCEA approved implementation of CCTNS and ICJS Project by March 2017 to revamp Criminal Justice System
The ICJS Project will be implemented through integrating CCTNS with e-Courts, e-prisons, Forensics and Prosecution, which are the key components of the Criminal Justice System.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 18 November 2015 approved two projects proposed by Union Ministry of Home Affairs with a view to revamp criminal justice system in the country.
These are Crime and Criminals Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS) and Integrated Criminal Justice System (ICJS) Project.
It decided to fast track the implementation and complete implementation of the project by March 2017.
Crime and Criminals Tracking Network and Systems (CCTNS)
• The Project will interconnect about 15000 Police Stations and additional 5000 offices of supervisory police officers across the country
• It will digitize data related to FIR registration, investigation and charge sheets in all police stations.
• It would help in developing a national database of crime and criminals
• The full implementation of the project with all the new components would lead to a Central citizen portal having linkages with State level citizen portals that will provide a number of citizen friendly services.
• The total outlay for the project is 2000 crore rupees, and also includes Operation and Maintenance phase for additional five years up to March 2022.
Integrated Criminal Justice System (ICJS)
The CCEA also decided to implement Integrated Criminal Justice System (ICJS) by 2017. It will be done through integrating CCTNS with e-Courts, e-prisons, Forensics and Prosecution, which are the key components of the Criminal Justice System.
Implementation of ICJS will ensure
• Quick data transfer among different pillars of criminal justice system, which will not only enhance transparency but also reduce processing time.
• Enable National level crime analytics to be published at increased frequency, which will help the policy makers as well as lawmakers in taking appropriate and timely action.
• Enable pan-India criminal/accused name search in the regional language for improved inter-state tracking of criminal movement.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App