CCEA approves construction, operation and maintenance of Zojila tunnel in J&K
The construction of this tunnel will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh and will bring about all round economic and socio-cultural integration of these regions. The project excludes approaches on Srinagar-Leh section connecting NH-1A at Km 95.00 and at Km 118.00.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on 3 January 2018 approved construction, operation and maintenance of 2-lane bi-directional Zojila Tunnel with parallel escape tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) on Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) mode.
The construction of this tunnel will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh and will bring about all round economic and socio-cultural integration of these regions.
The project excludes approaches on Srinagar-Leh section connecting NH-1A at Km 95.00 and at Km 118.00.
Highlights of the project
• The civil construction cost of the project is Rs 4899.42 crore.
• The total capital cost of the project is Rs 6808.69 crore. It includes the cost towards Land Acquisition, Resettlement & Rehabilitation as well as Maintenance and Operation cost of tunnel for 4 years.
• The construction period of the project is 7 years which will be considered from the date of commencement of construction.
• It aims at construction of 14.150 km long two lane bidirectional single tube Zojila tunnel with a parallel 14.200 km long egress tunnel excluding approaches between Baltal & Minamarg of J&K.
• The project will be implemented by Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRT&H) through National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL).
CCEA approves mandatory packaging of foodgrains in Jute Materials
Benefits of construction, operation and maintenance of Zojila tunnel
• The main objective of the project is to provide all whether connectivity to strategically important Leh region in Jammu & Kashmir which at the moment is limited to 6 months because of snow.
• This project will ensure safe, fast and cheap connectivity between the two regions of Kashmir and Ladakh.
• It will increase the employment potential for the local labourers for the project activities.
• The project will lead to enormous boost in employment as local businesses will get linked to National market and the region will be able to receive round the year tourist traffic.