The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), presided by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 17 May 2017 gave green signal to the setting up of Indian Agricultural Research Institute (lARI).
The Indian Agricultural Research Institute will be set up in Assam.
The proposal of Department of Agriculture Research and Education (DARE) /Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) under the scheme, the establishment of the "Indian Agricultural Research Institute (lARI)-Assam" seeks to set up the Institute on 587 acre of land provided by the Govt. of Assam.
About Indian Agricultural Research Institute
• The lARI-Assam would be a Post-Graduate Institution of higher learning in Agricultural Education.
• It will have the hallmark identity of an IARI including all sectors of agriculture like field crops, horticultural crops, agro-forestry, animal husbandry, and more.
• There will be an off-campus study centre of the IARI at New Delhi.
• Integrated multi-disciplinary research would be undertaken in school mode i.e. Schools of Crop Sciences, Natural Resource Management, and Animal Sciences & Fisheries.
• IARI-Assam would work on the agrarian challenges and complexities of North Eastern India in tandem with all existing Union and State Government R&D Institutions and Private sector enterprises.
• It would undertake research, education, extension programs in its mission towards developing quality human resource, generation of farmer-friendly technologies to enhance productivity, quality and profitability, promote agro-based industries and generate employment opportunities for holistic and sustainable development of the agriculture sector in the North Eastern region.
What: Approved by CCEA
When: 17 May 2017