The Chief Minister of Assam, Sarbananda Sonowal launched the Chief Minister Samagra Gramya Unnayan Yojana (CMSGUY) in Guwahati, Assam on 5 February 2017.
The Yojana has been launched with the aim of bringing a paradigm shift towards holistic development of villages in Assam.
• The scheme is a mega mission with financial expenditure amounting to about Rs 30,000 Cr.
• It aims to bring a revolutionary change by doubling farm income in the state.
• It will be implemented in all of the state’s villages.
• The scheme is expected to conclude by 2021-22.
According to the Situation Assessment Survey taken between 2002-03 and 2012-13, the farm income in Assam was recorded to have shown only 0.88 percent increase as against the national average of 5.2 per cent. In the view of this, the Assam government decided to launch the CMSGUY to stimulate rural productivity by making huge investments in the rural areas for their complete transformation within a short span of just 5 years.
Workings of the scheme
• Five teams will be constituted in each block that will have the responsibility of implementing different missions of the programme.
• These teams will also have to prepare development plans for them to be implemented in each village.
• Every village will also get its own village knowledge centre.
• A playground will also be built in each village.
• The planned average investment for the scheme is about Rs 1.20 Cr per revenue village.
The Mega Mission Society, chaired by Assam CM Sonowal will be responsible for the implementation of the scheme.