Chile beat Argentina to win 2016 Copa America Football tournament
This was second Copa America title for Chile. Earlier, it secured the title in 2015 by defeating Argentina 4-1 in a penalty shootout.
Chile on 26 June 2016 won the Copa America football tournament. In the final clash played at MetLife Stadium, Chile defeated Argentina 4-2 through penalties shootout.
This was second America title for Chile, it won the first title in 2015 after defeating Argentina 4-1 in a penalty shootout following a 0-0 scoreless draw at the end of regulation.
With this, Chile also became the first team to win the Copa America in back to back years since Argentina in 1946 and 1947.
Being deadlocked 0-0 after 90 minutes and another half an hour extra time in the match, the two teams were supposed to opt for penalty shootout.
Besides the Copa trophy, there were other awards to recognise both individuals and teams, and the winners in different categories are
• Golden Ball: Alexis Sanchez (Chile)
• Golden Boot: Eduardo Vargas (Chile)
• Golden Glove award: Claudio Bravo (Chile)
• Fair Play Award: Argentina
The Technical Study Group also named the Tournament’s Best XI as follows:
• Goalkeeper: Claudio Bravo (Chile)
• Defenders: Mauricio Isla (Chile), Nicolas Otamendi (Argentina), Gary Medel (Chile), Jean Beausejour (Chile)
• Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Argentina), Arturo Vidal (Chile), Charles Aranguiz (Chile)
• Forwards: Lionel Messi (Argentina), Eduardo Vargas (Chile), Alexis Sanchez (Chile)
Copa America Football tournament
Copa America, formerly known as the South American Football Championship is an international men's football tournament contested between national teams from CONMEBOL and CONCACAF. It is the oldest international continental football competition.
The competition determines the continental champion of South America. Since the 1990s, teams from North America and Asia have also participated.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App