Current Affairs in Short: 18 September 2019
Vinesh Phogat has become first Indian wrestler who qualified for the 2020 Olympics.
Vinesh Phogat qualifies for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
• Vinesh Phogat has become first Indian wrestler who qualified for the 2020 Olympics.
• She got the opportunity after beating American Sarah Hildebrandt in the World Championships in Nur Sultan, Kazakhstan.
• Vinesh Phogat scored 8-2 win to secure her entry at Tokyo Olympics. Earlier in the championship, she defeated Ukraine's Yuliya Khalvadzhy in the first round of repechage in the 53kg category.
Sheikh Hasina receives DKSIE Award-2019
• The Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina was awarded Dr Kalam Smriti International Excellence Award-2019.
• She was conferred with this award for the vision of a peaceful South Asia, free of terrorism, conflicts and tensions.
• Dr Kalam Smriti International Excellence Award was introduced in 2015 in memory of APJ Abdul Kalam.
Govt approves Productivity Linked Bonus to 11.52 lakh railway employees
• The payment of Productivity Linked Bonus (PLB) equivalent to 78 days wages will be given to over 11.52 Lakh eligible non-gazetted railway employees.
• As per the government notification, it aims to maintain a high level of motivation among railway personnel.
• Cabinet Minister Prakash Javadekar announced that PLB is an acknowledgement of railway employees’ contribution to the efficient running of the Indian Railways.
International Speed Post service commenced
• International Speed Post (EMS) Service to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ecuador, Brazil, Kazakhstan, North Macedonia and Lithuania has been commenced by the department of post.
• Express Mail Service or EMS enables its customers to send documents and merchandise faster and with the added facility of being able to track the movement of the item on the internet.
• This initiative will foster trade and people to people contact with these countries and as EMS is a popular channel for small and medium enterprises.